Can someone help me with this question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
"= 60.52 = 76.607." I see where you got 60.52 but where did the 76.607 come from? This is soooooooooooooooooo confusing!!!
PF - the problem with Jim's equation is that the format (ie spacing of numbers) is all shot, it should read like this:
EAD= ((1-.32) x (56 + 33))/0.79 = 60.52/0.79 = 76.607 - 33 = 43.6 (rounded to 44 or 45 or 50 depending)

Does that help make sense of it? The 0.79's posted originally arent shifted right enough - i will edit it to show it that way if i can.

jbd:
Divide the 60.52 by 0.79

Divers are expected to do this on the boat inbetween dives? This requires a calculator. I just don't get this! Let's keep this among us on this board, please? Guys, I'm going to use my dive computer. I will never use the tables. sssshhhhhhh,OK? :wink:

pilot fish:
Divers are expected to do this on the boat inbetween dives? This requires a calculator. I just don't get this! Let's keep this among us on this board, please? Guys, I'm going to use my dive computer. I will never use the tables. sssshhhhhhh,OK? :wink:

Yes and you have to do it blindfolded while hanging upside down by your ankles in 6 to 8 foot seas. :wink:

Not to worry, with a little practice, and using the tables, instead of doing the math for the exact depth, you will be able to work through the need to know info very quickly and easily.

You need to know this for the class so that you can demonstrate that you understand the concept and that you have a working knowledge of that which you are about to do.
Once you get on the boat, you can set up your computer and go on your merry way.

jbd:
Yes and you have to do it blindfolded while hanging upside down by your ankles in 6 to 8 foot seas. :wink:

Not to worry, with a little practice, and using the tables, instead of doing the math for the exact depth, you will be able to work through the need to know info very quickly and easily.

Funny.

If it's X32 or X36 and I have those tables in my dive bag, ok, I'll glance at it, once, maybe. But, my dive puter will give me my times and max depths. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A DIVER USE THESE TABLES, LET ALONE BUST OUT A CALCULATOR TO FIND EAD's helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

The Kraken:
You need to know this for the class so that you can demonstrate that you understand the concept and that you have a working knowledge of that which you are about to do.
Once you get on the boat, you can set up your computer and go on your merry way.

Can't I just say I do and move on? I understand the theroy, it's the algebra that turns my head to mush. I would not take a chance on safety but this stuff is not realistic. I see NO ONE ever do this.

I sincerely want to thank you guys for TRYING to help this dunce. You have been patient and very knowledgeable. I thank you.

I know a friend that never had to do any of this tables stuff to get nitrox certified.

p_f, I know what you mean. Doing the algebra on the boat isn't very practical, though you could always bring the tables/wheel with you so you wouldn't have to calculate anything.

The "correct" answer is that you should already know what depths you will be at and have planned all this long before you got on the boat. :eyebrow:

OTOH, here's another way to put this to real-world use: Know the EAD for common depths with the common mixes. IOW, know what EAD is for 32% and 36% for a handful of depths, say, starting at 40' and every 10 ft. up to MOD for each mix. You'd do this the same way you memorized the MOD for those mixes at a ppO2 of 1.4 or 1.6. If nothing else it gives you a check figure to work with. :)

pilot fish:
I know a friend that never had to do any of this tables stuff to get nitrox certified.
SDI teaches all rec diving including Nitrox with computers (no tables), if that's your preference.

StSomewhere:
p_f, I know what you mean. Doing the algebra on the boat isn't very practical, though you could always bring the tables/wheel with you so you wouldn't have to calculate anything.

The "correct" answer is that you should already know what depths you will be at and have planned all this long before you got on the boat. :eyebrow:

OTOH, here's another way to put this to real-world use: Know the EAD for common depths with the common mixes. IOW, know what EAD is for 32% and 36% for a handful of depths, say, starting at 40' and every 10 ft. up to MOD for each mix. You'd do this the same way you memorized the MOD for those mixes at a ppO2 of 1.4 or 1.6. If nothing else it gives you a check figure to work with. :)

SDI teaches all rec diving with computers (no tables), if that's your preference.

OK, I'll take the EANx32 table with me, the most common, to look at, and match to my puter, but I'm not doing any alegegra.

pilot fish:

Sorry to just butt in here, but don't be too hard on yourself pilot fish. After you jump through the equation hoops and pass the class, keep it simple and just use the 20% reduction rule. Take 20% off the depth and this is basically your EAD when diving 32%. This method is quite adequate when using tables, as rounding is required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom