Can the jet fins produce beautiful frogkick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jphehe

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a pair of the Poseidon jet fins and I love them being shorter and lighter.

My question is: Can anyone actually make beautiful frogkick with this fins??

I've had it for 2 years now, and while I am still adjusting my frogkicks, I still cannot do it anywhere near how the pros do it, as show in those youtube videos with those longer normal jet fins.

So I start to wonder if that's due to the fact that it is shorter??

I also haven't been able any videos on youtube to verify my doubts. (no poseidon fins to be seen with proper frogkick)

Or maybe it's just me, but I need to see a demo video to be convinced!

Frog kick is a good idea in tight quarters wreck diving & cave / cavern diving ................

Scuba diving is also not swimming, and frogkicks can be used anywhere.

I use a frog kick almost exclusively in open water and in wrecks. With several different types of fins. A good frog kick really has nothing to do with the fin. Other than something goofy or weird design. It is one of those things that is all technique. I can frog in splits, snorkel fins, and even freedive fins. You just adjust the stroke.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

For frog kick, the fin design matters. A LOT. You can "make do" with any fin, but I know the feeling you get when it's just not quite right, not as natural as it should be.

Jet Fins are probably just not the right fin for you. I struggled for a long time with my frog kick using Jet Fins, Cressis and Hollis F1. Finally, I got UTD's neutral fins and I was instantly kicking like a pro.

Something about the UTD design makes it hard NOT to make a good frog kick. I believe HOG's fin design is similar.

I think fin buoyancy might play a role too. The other fins I'd used were quite heavy and negative. They made it hard to get my heels up as high as I can with a neutral fin.

Point is, it wasn't me at all. I just needed to find the right fin to match my kick style and my heavy legs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom