Split fin hate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gassed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So when did the split fin hate start? I remember, not all that long ago, if you were not buying into split fins you were just dumb, crazy, a bad diver. Now, if you're not jumping on the Supernova or slinging a Jet clone from the 60's then your insane! Are we all that marketing diven?
I started with Jets, then got some Blades 2, then won a pair of Atomic Splits with first gen spring straps. Those fins have not left my feet in the last 2000+ dives. They are easy on knees and ankles, easily frog kick and yes, you can reverse kick with them. As with anything it's all in technique. They are simply easy, neutral and comfortable.
Are they the best tech/cave fin? Nope. But they have done both for me and I'm still breathing. Are they the fastest. Nope. But what's the hurry? I see so many comments about "slow it down, enjoy the dive, save your gas.." followed by "split fins are slow and inefficient". :p
So what did I miss? What killed the splitfin? Or do we just wait another 15 years until they are back in style? Being a bit of a smartass in text but honestly asking, what happened?

So when did the split fin hate start? I remember, not all that long ago, if you were not buying into split fins you were just dumb, crazy, a bad diver. Now, if you're not jumping on the Supernova or slinging a Jet clone from the 60's then your insane! Are we all that marketing diven?

Fads come and go and every decade has its "hot" products. I don't believe that "Split fins" in general are bad, it is some are better than other.

There a lot of vocal influencers who started a negative campaign against split fins years ago based on their own narrow type of diving that was used as a very large blanket statement against split fins. In reality, one has to determine the best tool for their own specific type of diving. Split fins, as you have pointed out, may not be a good choice for technical diving (cave, etc.) but they may be all OK for other types of diving. One has to differentiate hype and personal tastes that are mixed with agendas from reality and true facts about equipment.

Those fins have not left my feet in the last 2000+ dives. They are easy on knees and ankles, easily frog kick and yes, you can reverse kick with them. As with anything it's all in technique. They are simply easy, neutral and comfortable.
How do they do in currents?

What killed the splitfin? Or do we just wait another 15 years until they are back in style? Being a bit of a smartass in text but honestly asking, what happened?
They aren't dead at all, in fact, Scubapro just introduced a new version of its split fins that came out few months ago. Some loud mouths on the internet and the parrots that follow them talk bad about split fins but in reality there is a sizable market for them that justifies for Atomic, Scubapro and Apollo to continue to manufacture and sell them (even introduced new enhanced versions).

They work for you, that is all that matters.
I am amazed some people can propel through the water at all with some of the things flapping around on their feet.

I remember, not all that long ago, if you were not buying into split fins you were just dumb, crazy, a bad diver.
That may be key to answering your question. I think the recreational dive community can get pretty testy when they believe something has been over-hyped in a rather grandiose way. Overplay your hand in marketing something new and allegedly improved, and when the truth falls short (or even suggests your product is inferior in some ways), the scorn may last.

They are easy on knees and ankles
A good reminder it's not good to over-do things in the opposite direction, either. A lot of people stand to benefit from 'easy on the knees.'

I suspect part of it flows from concern many divers are vulnerable to hype, and may be misled into choosing split fins what that's not the best choice for that diver. Unfortunately, vilifying them could mislead people for whom they are the best choice away.

How do they do in currents?
Just fine. I normally frog/skull but will flutter in current. It's like gearing on a bike. In current its a low gear, high rpm "spin". Low profile trim and small but repetitive thrust. When doing the frog it's a big gear, slow rpm. Scoop a footfull and push off of it. Not sure if that makes sense? On long dive days I find changing muscle groups (kick styles) makes for a more pleasant experience.
They are long (Atomic splits) and don't have a bunch of torque but they move me and a full size camera rig no problem.
Though they have worked, I don't think they would be my goto for daily caving but for the mostly open water, wall, reef and wreck photo dives I do they check most boxes.
I am looking into sidemount, drysuit, tech, as my interest in cave is growing. Maybe rebreather is in my future, so a more torquey, short fin may be in order. That is what prompted my searching. Was just surprised to see the vilification of my tried and true.
Thanks for the feedback.

Though they have worked, I don't think they would be my goto for daily caving but for the mostly open water, wall, reef and wreck photo dives I do they check most boxes.

I am confused, if they work for you normally, why not use them for caving? You just have to change the kick rate...
(I would say possibly because of peer pressure??? Or 2 tanks???)

Personally a fin that kicks easy is kinda pointless.

It's like saying a worn out water pump uses less power,( it does) but also doesn't build pressure well because of slippage, so in the long run you use more total power.

I don't get the pushback on Split Fins either. I use both. In cold water with a dry suit I use Hollis F1 paddle fins. In warm water I use a pair of Apollo Biofins from 2002 or so. I find that both work just fine.

I am much more comfortable doing a lot of kicking and high current diving in the Apollo split fins. I don't do that sort of diving against strong currents in cold water much. Better to go with the currents.

In 2005, I purchased split fins because I was told it helps if you have weak ankles, I twisted my ankle a lot back then. I started some yoga stretches, such as downward dog, warrior, phases of the moon and tree pose, these helped build up strength to start sporting some scuba pro go sport fins.

As in life, do what works for you and ignore the static.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom