New Fins from Scubapro for Technical Diving, the S-Tek Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can’t wait to try them out.

Can't wait to read your review really. I am ordering them with the Go Sport Gorilla very soon, perhaps before end of month.

Here is a picture of the size difference between the 2. In the large size the Supernovas are about 1 3/4” shorter overall and the blades are a bit narrower.

Attachments

• IMG_3626.jpeg
    IMG_3626.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 126
Here is a picture of the size difference between the 2. In the large size the Supernovas are about 1 3/4” shorter overall and the blades are a bit narrower.
I’m interested in the comparison, the Supers have proven to be very stabile in a variety of uses from cold water drysuit to warm water I’m a bit worried on the S tek Design depending more on stiffness than channeling but won’t know until I get a chance to try them.

I just dug out my regular Nova’s and they remain good fins for overall use but are far behind the super for stability.

How do you define "stability" for you? I want to check them against each other in this respect.
Stability of the blade, hard to describe but with the regular nova if let them twist by not giving a clean straight kick the blade can sort of flutter on the booms. I really like them for free diving in a warm lake where a long stroke kick is amplified in propulsion by the boom deflection, simply put you get more propulsion for the effort expended.

if you try any fine tuning action with your fins the flex of the booms make a lot of the effort wasted in flex, back finning which I’m not good at is all but impossible with the old nova but I can do it with the super.

maybe it’s all because I’m old with bad joints. :wink:

Stability of the blade, hard to describe but with the regular nova if let them twist by not giving a clean straight kick the blade can sort of flutter on the booms. I really like them for free diving in a warm lake where a long stroke kick is amplified in propulsion by the boom deflection, simply put you get more propulsion for the effort expended.

if you try any fine tuning action with your fins the flex of the booms make a lot of the effort wasted in flex, back finning which I’m not good at is all but impossible with the old nova but I can do it with the super.

maybe it’s all because I’m old with bad joints. :wink:
stability ---(equivalent) (analogue) - stiffness. ?

I will post a longer review.
On a high level, I’m keeping the s tek and giving away the super novas to my friend.

Out of the blue the s tek are super negatively buoyant. Adjusting their weight to make them neutral and they were perfect. Frog kicks, powerful and easy. Helicopter kicks needed more precision, back kicks were not as easy, I prefer my Eddys for it but then again, I consider the Eddys to be “easy mode” when it comes to precision kicking.

Compared to the XT, honestly I think they gave me more thrust which I was super impressed by on the frog kicks. Not so much on the helicopter or backkick. Maybe it’s training as I get more accustomed to them.

With both weights on the s tek, they are more negatively buoyant than the jet fins I felt.

New Fins from Scubapro for Technical Diving, the S-Tek Fin

The S-Tek Fin is a purpose-built, next-gen technical diving fin providing maximum power when you need it. Constructed of durable Monprene® for maximum durability and designed with an ultra-streamlined profile, the S-Tek Fin’s 30º pre-angled blade requires less deflection to achieve the desired angle of attack for an efficient kick. This allows for a stiffer blade without increasing drag, thereby reducing leg cramps and ankle strain while delivering unbeatable maneuverability and alternate kick performance. In particular, the S-Tek Fin excels in frog kicks, backward kicks and helicopter turns, plus produces a high-torque flutter kick.

◊ Clean Water Blade and Vented Blade design reduces drag and increases thrust.

◊ Hydra-Loop ramped and reinforced leading edge improves lateral rigidity for improved alternate kicks, plus creates a hydrofoil profile for better thrust.

◊ Removable Stainless Steel Weight Plate System lets you choose between a positively buoyant, neutrally buoyant, or negatively buoyant fin.

◊ The S-Tek Fin’s two-piece design, with blade and foot pocket molded separately, makes transport easy.

◊ Blade and foot pocket are molded separately with a durable Sure-Lock Connecting System that allows for easy assembly and disassembly.

◊ Open heel foot pocket features an upgraded heavy-duty bungee strap that allows for micro-adjustments to accommodate different boot types.

◊ The Complete Fin is available in black in 5 sizes (XS, S, M with Midi blades; L, XL with Maxi blades) and includes a Multi-Tool and 2 sets of Lock Plates, a Stainless Steel Weight System and a SCUBAPRO boat bag.

◊ The Blade Only is available in black in 2 sizes (Midi & Maxi) and includes a Multi- Tool and 1 set of Lock Plates, a Stainless Steel Weight System and a SCUBAPRO boat bag. BLADE AVAILABLE SUMMER 2023

◊ Compatible with Seawing Supernova foot pockets.

SizeXSSMLXL
Weight in kg2.002.202.302.502.70

SCUBAPRO S-Tek Fin

View attachment 783684

View attachment 783685

View attachment 783686

View attachment 783687
Size XXL is Not Available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom