Can UWATEC Smart Coms be Repaired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kkbiker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I took my son's UWATEC Smart Com computer into my LDS to have them replace the batteries and when they took off the back they said the seals must have leaked and there was oil everywhere. Is this something Scubapro can repair (and how much) or is this computer toast? :depressed:

If all it needs is a battery and seal and oil refill, about $40. If it has water in it, the sky is the limit.

Does it have to go Scuba Pro for this service?
You can try DIY and there are some old posts on the topic. But you need to replace the membrane which is NOT that readily available.
In HK SP charges around US$100.00 for the change of battery.
Good luck.

Air Tech might also be able to help you out, they do a lot of Scubapro repairs, and are one of the best repair shops in the country.

Home

the battery can be replaced, cost depends on who does it. i do not know if scubapro still services this model. battery replacement is very messy since you require an oil bath to submerge the computer in to re-assemble it. there are several non scubapro services that will do the battery replacement.

an oil leak can be caused by a punctured membrane or an improperly seated membrane. punctured is bad news, improperly seated is just poor assembly technique. the membrane can not become unseated during normal use as the back cover holds it in place. the membrane does not "wear out". it could fail if subjected to some nasty chemicals,but then the rest of the computer would also likely show signs.

which problem do you have?

background info:
the computer is filled with oil and uses a large flexible membrane to seal the back of the unit. all of the computer is inside the sealed environment, including battery and pressure gauge and displays. the membrane is very tough.

if the membrane gets punctured, the oil leaks out. there is no way to puncture the membrane in normal use as it is protected by the back of the computer case. if the membrane is not seated properly, then oil will leak out. all over everything including the outside of the computer since the rest of the case is not sealed.

was it leaking oil before you took it in?

the pictures on the page below show the exposed computer from the back with the membrane removed

Smart COM reset

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 10:22 AM ----------

p.s. the "cost" of the actual battery is now around $6 when buying a bunch (4 or more). the high cost of battery replacement is due to the time and aggravation of soldering the battery inplace and then getting the oil back inside the computer. very messy work.

Thanks for the recommendation. I contacted Brass Anchor and they said no problem, $50 plus shipping. I first took it to my regular LDS and I think they were trying to be helpful but had no clue it was oil filled and that the battery had to be soldered in. I then called a local Scuba Pro shop and they told me it was gel filled and had to be sent back to Scuba Pro. I'm kind of disappointed in the two LDSs.

Thanks for the recommendation. I contacted Brass Anchor and they said no problem, $50 plus shipping. I first took it to my regular LDS and I think they were trying to be helpful but had no clue it was oil filled and that the battery had to be soldered in. I then called a local Scuba Pro shop and they told me it was gel filled and had to be sent back to Scuba Pro. I'm kind of disappointed in the two LDSs.
Awesome - $50 is a steal, go with Brass Anchor (i do my own, and in the middle of each swap I think I am just stupid for doing this myself).

Please do not be disappointed with your LDS. Instead please think of them as delivering what they are capable of and what is expected.

You and I (appear to) have infinite time to surf around the web and learn about "stuff". Your LDS is busy trying to make a dime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom