Can you/How to convert GPS From Loran?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moneysavr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can you convert old Loran charts to GPS,Have not got rid of this unit but see lots of charts use Loran,Not GPS but new stuff has GPS Can this be done,
Thanks,Brad

I'm definately not an expert on this stuff by any means.

The -easiest- way is to use loran to get to the site, and then take a GPS waypoint :wink:

There is software out there that will help you convert [e.g. search the web for 'posaid2'], but from what I understand, it's not incredibly accurate [but I also understand that loran numbers aren't very accurate unless you are using the same unit that got the numbers]

The couple times I've tried converting Loran to GPS, I did it when I had 3 loran numbers in the waypoint. converting the 3 crossing points gave me a triangle somewhere on the order of 200 yards by 150 yards by 100 yards. I never got out to the site to figure out where the actual wreck was in that area though.

Thanks,Jeff
Thats kind of what I was told,Darn now that I have a small boat I wish I kept the big one!I have been trying to clean up and get rid of old electronics,guess the Loran stays!
Thanks,
Brad

Most nautical charts have both the LORAN lines (big arcs) and Lat/Lon down the sides for
GPS or sextant.

Most marine GPSs can input LORAN TD's. Some setup is required -- you have to tell it
which LORAN stations you are inputting TDs for. RTFM.

You do need to remember than while LORAN positions are very repeatable (same
numbers will get you to the same spot) they aren't very accurate when converted to
Lat/Lon because the radio waves can be warped by things like mineral content in the
bedrock, and the conversion will reflect that inaccuracy. What I would do is convert
the LORAN numbers with GPS, then go find the site, and move the GPS waypoint as
required. Note that in the same general area, all the conversions will be off by the
about the same amount, so once you find the first, the rest will be easy. But I'd
convert now, just in case that old LORAN unit goes belly up.

Go to offshorehunter.com for a program to convert the loran #'s to gps. This is supposed to be one of the best out there. Do a search on spearboard.com to see what folks think of it.

At some point and it was supposed to have happened several years ago, loran stations will be shut down for good. Just bite the bullet and convert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom