Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveHeart

DiveHeart Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
QUESTION: CAN A COURSE DIRECTOR TEACH & CERTIFY Scuba Instructors to work with people with disabilities without ever getting in the water??? Your Thoughts? MANDATORY In Water Adaptive Training can be found here Get Started | Diveheart
11953572_10153001931057540_4126672020287129424_o.jpg

I do't know what it takes to become a certified adaptive instructor, but I would think being in the water should be mandatory. In my regular instructor training, the course director was in the water all the time, and I can't imagine how it could have been done effectively otherwise.

On the other hand, a scuba instructor near me teaches the OW class without getting in the water, and if that is possible, then I guess everything must be possible.

I am not an instructor, but my answer to this would still be an emphatic NO. If there is no in-water time (even if it is in a pool), how will the Course Director be able to evaluate the instructor candidate on their skills (such as assisting an adaptive diver with clearing a mask, etc.)? Just my 2¢ worth.

Adam

I am not an instructor, but my answer to this would still be an emphatic NO. If there is no in-water time (even if it is in a pool), how will the Course Director be able to evaluate the instructor candidate on their skills (such as assisting an adaptive diver with clearing a mask, etc.)? Just my 2¢ worth.

Adam

Adam, I know it sounds crazy but i've seen it done. The course director trainer that i witnessed never got in the pool or the openwater. when i said, how can you be sure that they are doing the skills they need to do and that they are doing them right....he said. " They are instructors, they should know what they're doing" ...my mouth fell open in awe!

Adam, I know it sounds crazy but i've seen it done. The course director trainer that i witnessed never got in the pool or the openwater. when i said, how can you be sure that they are doing the skills they need to do and that they are doing them right....he said. " They are instructors, they should know what they're doing" ...my mouth fell open in awe!

Jim....

Amazing. Also a good way to get someone hurt.... or worse.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom