Canada Day Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So where did you go diving this weekend?

I dove the Cut and while the vis wasn't spectacular, it was pretty good. We didn't really need our lights. The sun was shining as well, not only literally on the surface, but figuratively underwater. We saw a big octopus on both dives. It was in a crack at around 75 fsw (on the right-hand side). That's the first time I've seen an octo on two dives in a row.

All in all, a great couple of dives, expecially since they were my 49th and 50th dives since starting last year.

Daryl Morse:

I dove 5 miles off Long Point on "The Anchor"...which is exactly as the name implies. One great big ol' anchor lying in about 35' of silt and rubble.
It was a gorgeous day to be out on the lake! The wind had blown briskly from the NE last night, so the lake was lovely and calm early this morning. Sparkling waters, blue skies and about 26 C. Awesome!

Water temps were noticably lower; like 14 C...the C is for chilly. Vis was about 8-10 metres with the suspended particulate in the water sometimes making it closer to 5.

Apart from the massive anchor and chain, the bottom was a cobblestone of zebra mussel shells. There were gobies galore...all sizes...and rocks, but not much else. Still, worth every shiver:wink:

Dove China Creek near Port Alberni. Nice shore dive where there are occasional 6 gill sightings this time of year. We didn't see any though. Good dive anyway.

wedivebc:
Dove China Creek near Port Alberni. Nice shore dive where there are occasional 6 gill sightings this time of year. We didn't see any though. Good dive anyway.
I've been thinking half-heartedly of doing some shore dives up there. Is it sort of like Saanich Inlet (not a whole lot of colour, silty) or is it a bit like Barkley Sound? Did you do the migrant wreck? Is there much life on it? Seems like a long drive only to maybe find out I could do a better dive in my backyard. Thanks.

swankenstein:
I've been thinking half-heartedly of doing some shore dives up there. Is it sort of like Saanich Inlet (not a whole lot of colour, silty) or is it a bit like Barkley Sound? Did you do the migrant wreck? Is there much life on it? Seems like a long drive only to maybe find out I could do a better dive in my backyard. Thanks.
We swam to the wreck because the sharks are usually sighted near it. After that we headed to the wall. It is more populated than Mackenzie Bight but goes down to over 200ft so when the vis is good (which it usually is) is is quite interesting to look at. I was with the a student so we turned back before the others but they reported several moss-head warbonnets and a couple of juvenile wolf eels. I have never seen an adult wolf eel there but plenty of babies. The camp site is very busy right now. I think there is a sockeye run going on. Make sure you book at the office and they will tell you where to park and give you a pass for free.
The wall is at the very east side (left when looking toward the water) of the beach. The wreck is about 300' to the west. It lies between 40' and 130' and is on a very steep angle. Swim west at 50' and you can't miss it.

Daryl Morse:

The usual.... West Hawk Lake in Manitoba.

It was a hot weekend, and getting into my thermals and drysuit was a .... warm .... affair to say the least. :crafty:

Water temperatures varied from 5.5C at depths of 24m, to surface temperatures around 18C. Conditions varied from 10ft visibility above the thermocline, to 20ft below the thermocline. Things got dark real fast if a cloud would cover the sun. All in all, conditions were not bad for this time of year.

I reached my 49th dive of the year on Sunday. :thumbs-up:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom