Cancun/Cozumel vs Costa Rica (AUGUST)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAvatar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
BACKGROUND:

Taking a trip to Costa Rica to explore the jungles, volcanoes, whitewater kayak, and mountain bike for a week with my girlfriend. We also want to spend a second week diving. The problem is we were not planning on renting a car and would be staying on the east side of the country in Monteverde, so getting all the way to the South or the West where the diving will be seems like a hassle. Also, I'm not sure how good the diving is on the Caribbean side is or how good it will be in August (the rainy season?). The alternative is to drop more money into airfare and spend the diving week in Cancun ($300-$350 airfare) or Cozumel ($400-$500 extra airfare). Obviously, a day is lost to travel here (flights connect through the USA!)

The last thing is that we are young and adventurous, more at home in a tent or on a couch or a cheap hotel than in a fancy resort. Our goal is to dive as much as possible as cheaply as possible and chill on the beach, not luxuriate by the pool bar while diving only twice a day.

Also, we'll need to rent everything but mask/fin/snorkel.

QUESTIONS:

How will the diving quality differ between locations?

Is it really any cheaper to find cheap accommodations and book diving separately? It doesn't seem so in my research so far...

Is camping possible on Cozumel or Playa del Carmen or Cancun? Advisable?

Is it easy to eat cheap on the mainland? On Cozumel?

Are there nice white sand beaches?

Anyone want to recommend some dive operations?

Anyone with experience have tips to share?

Last edited:
Tough decision you have here. I would definitely do Costa Rica, but as far as diving I have heard mixed reviews, never dived there myself. The diving in Cozumel is obviously going to be great, but so is the diving in Playa del Carmen during the summer. It is definitely possible to each cheap here in Playa, lots of little taco shops, and little restaurants. White sandy beaches all up and down the coast. I don't think there is camping here in Playa or in Cancun, don't know about Coz. But I do know that you can camp down in the Sian-Kan which is the eco reserve down in Tulum. Amazing place I did it just a couple months ago. You have a huge beach to yourself and there are other travelers such as yourselves that are there camping as well. It's a really nice time. Just rig up a hammock to the palm trees and chill. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me or email me at geofish.dive@gmail.com. Take it easy and safe travels.

I agree with Geofish. I have heard the same thing about diving in Costa Rica. Maybe like two or three dive ops and the diving isn't that great.

Cancun to Tulum the diving is great. Depends what you are looking for. Coz is great if you are looking for deep walls and topography. The Mayan Rivera is great for marine life and reefs. PDC to Tulum have great cenote diving.

Sample is all! Just depends on your pocketbook size....:D

Dive safe!

I can only provide info re Cozumel. There's no camping but there is a nice, well-located hostel with very cheap rates called Hostelito -- it has a website. If you want to stay there, advance reservations are necessary. In addition to dorms, it has one private room. Alternatively, in-town hotel rooms with in-room fridges (one good one is Suites Vima) start around $25 during low season. No need to buy a hotel/dive package. Boat diving runs from around $55 to 85 for a standard 2-tank trip.

There are some sandy beaches on the west side of the island and many on the east side, all accessible by taxi or rental car. In town there's lots of ocean access for swimming and snorkeling but the shoreline is primarily ironshore. There are also several places where you can shore dive.

Well, we'll be headed to Mexico for a week! What is the best way to find these cheap $25/night places?

One source of current information on hotels from Cancun-Tulum are the Mapchick maps. Another way to plan is via the forums at sites like Locogringo, Xcalak.tv, and Playa.info.

As you travel, ask the locals and the tourists you meet (including dive ops!) If you need to overnight in a small town, stop at a roadside beer stand -- buy something to drink and ask for recommendations. Cab drivers are also great advisers.

In a big place like Playa del Carmen or Cancun, advance work will help a lot. There's a hostel on 5th Ave. in Playa del Carmen as well as affordable hotels like La Rana Cansada (I don't know its
current rates but historically they were very low) and many other small, owner-operated places.

Check out the room before you register to make sure it suits your needs.

I would suggest going to Cozumel. I would stay at the Baracuda it is on the water and across the street from a supermart. Check with dive paradise they have packages and pick up at the hotel pier. Great diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom