Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Akumal, Isla Mujeres, Holbox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Akumal, Isla Mujeres, Holbox???? So many options.

Am going to the "cancun area" in mid august with my mom who is a non diver. Want to stay somewhere nice (nice accomodations, pool, etc) so she can relax while i go diving.
I'm open to any of the places listed above. Want to get some diving done, including cenotes, but don't want to be gone all day as i need to spend some "quality time" with mom.

I know Holbox or Isla Mujeres maybe a little far but if it's really worth it, and being I won't be going back any time soon, i may consider it.

Any tips, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Well, there are any number of resorts in the area, both on Coz and on the mainland, that will answer your desire for a nice accomodation with pool (and on the mainland, beach). Many have dive ops, or have pickup from a local dive op.

It is a little easier to do the cenotes from the mainland side, but it is definitely doable from Coz (I have done both). You have the ferry ride with gear to contend with (if you are bringing your own gear) but it's not that big a deal, and some Cozumel dive ops will arrange the whole day for you (Aldora did for us). However, going from Coz to the cenotes is pretty much a full day excursion.

A lot depends on what your mother likes to do while you're diving. If she's looking for shopping or restaurants or things of that sort, being on Coz or close to PDC might be advantageous.

Some depends on budget, too. We stayed this last trip in Puerto Aventuras, in a REALLY nice two bedroom condo, with a beautiful kitchen and huge patio over the marina, and one of the most beautiful swimming pools I've ever seen in my life (plus easy beach access for snorkeling). It cost us $210 a night for the condo. We split it four ways, which made it very affordable.

Drop a line to benrmooney@yahoo.co.uk. He's owner/operator of Mayan Aqua Dive in Cancun, www.mayanaquadive.com. He can hook you up with dive and hotel packages and will pick you up and return you to your hotel. Coz will be a stretch but everything else is doable from Cancun. There are still whale sharks around in mid-August.

Ben runs an excellent op and you can do a search to find a large number of happy customers. You can't go wrong with Ben. I think he can get hotel package for as little as $65/night/pp and they are not dives.

Cancun offers the most for non-divers, with many fine restaurants as well. Trips to the reefs are usually about fifteen minutes or so, with my favorite being Manchones, just off the coast of Isla Mujeres.

In my opinion, PDC is great if you are doing cenotes and want a shorter trip to Coz. The reefs are better in Cancun. Check out the restaurants downtown as well. Two really good ones are La Parilla and La Placitas. Ask Ben for recommendations as well.

Good weather and dive safe!

Just got back yesterday from Holbox. Read my comments in recent thread "Trip advice Yucatan" posted by aphauf.

The sea is beautiful at Holbox and I am sure your Mum would be happy to go in that. I am not sure which hotels, if any others, have pools, but Holbox Dreams has a small one.

For "away from it all" on the beach atmosphere with lovely rooms look up Casa Tortugas HOLBOX HOTEL: CASA LAS TORTUGAS. Yes they have a/c, hot water, beach beds, snack/bar service down onto the beach. The Dutch Manager speaks perfect English and everyone is kind and helpful. The people at Mawimbi are also very welcoming and efficient and their beach area is popular with their guests.

Most beach front hotels have beach beds and hot water, but not all. Read my comments in the other thread and take a guess as to which.

Hola, From Cancun
I Can Definately Recommend Papa Hogs In Cozumel They Are Great, They Also Own A Good Restaurant With Great Food, Their Services Are Excellent They Are A Canadian Couple And Their Nephew, The Captians, The Divemasters Are Top Of The Line With Great Experience, Rosendo Dive Master Is One Of The Best And Most Experienced In The Island, Also Caballito Del Caribe Is Good In Coz.
Ben @ Mayan Aquadive Is Great They Run An Excellent Operation.

Also Check Out Our Web Page At Cancundiving.com, As A Choice And Another Operation.

If You Have Any Questions Please Feel Free To Pm Me.
Hope This Info Is Helpful

Hey all. Just returned from our second trip to Cancun. Last year we were not very happy with our dive provider (big crowded boats, impersonal . . .). This year, after researching on SB, we dove with Mayan Aquadive. Ben was amazing. He was very flexible, helping us choose a schedule so that we could do a variety of dives. We dove beautiful reefs, a C-58 wreck, a cenote (Chack Mool), and then for the grand finale, we dove in Playa del Carman with the bull sharks (the most amazing dive ever . . .). Ben is very professional yet at the same time laid back. He knew almost instantly where we were at as far as our level of experience and skills, and made sure we were completely comfortable with every dive we did. His staff were very attentive/safe/cautions without being overbearing. They are the kind of people you want to be friends with, not the typical bored, overworked, couldn't give a crap dive operation. They have a very nice boat, dove in small groups, and arranged daily pickups at our hotel. We just couldnt have asked for anything more.

My suggestion would be to stay in Cozumel or PDC. If you want to dive more cenotes than reefs, stay in PDC. If more reef than stay in Coz. You can use the ferry lines to take a couple of days and go to the other side to dive. Both have more shoping and dining options than Holbox or Akumal. The ocean diving in Akumal is not much to speak about. Both Coz and PDC have many hotel choices for all budgets.

If you decide on Coz and a nice pool is important to you, take a look at the Park Royal. It is completely new since Wilma came through and has three very nice pools. For an all inclusive, it is priced reasonably.

Good Luck.

PH

I am also confused with the plethora of options in the Mayan Riviera. I'm going in July so Isla Holbox (for me) is a must. Whale sharks of course. Only have about 10 days but I don't want to run all around... Trying to decide on basing myself around Tulum (cenotes) Costa Maya or Cozumel/Cancun.... Not entirely sure on driving distances etc.... I don't mind bussing it but with dive gear it could get a bit cumbersome.
Any and all feedback is welcome.

You can swim with Whale Sharks thru a couple of operators in Isla Mujeres, who take you close to Isla Contoy. Captain Tony is one . Isla Mujeres is quieter, cheaper ,& more laid back than the other areas. I have been to all except Holbox, which is pretty far from the others. Diving off Isla Mujeres is at most of the same sites Cancun divers use. No walls , but plenty of fish life !

Back
Top Bottom