Cancun Trip Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had nothing but great experiences with Dive Aventuras. Contact Nils
nils@diveaventuras.com
He will be able to set up your AOW class and coordinate in with some rec diving and cenotes. They will pick you up and drop you off at the resort for both morning and afternoon dives. It's the easiest diving you will ever do.

The bummer about the nitrox is that Dressel promotes it on their website and even encourages divers to get certified for it prior to their trip. Unfortunately, they don't say that the nearest nitrox is Cozumel.

That certainly isn't true. Dive Aventuras has nitrox, as do the shops in Akumel and Playa.

That certainly isn't true. Dive Aventuras has nitrox, as do the shops in Akumel and Playa.

The nearest Dressel location with Nitrox is Cozumel. You are absolutely correct about the availability of nitrox through other businesses.

I ended up having a very good experience diving with Dive Aventuras. They picked me up at the front door of the Barcelo, provided wonderful personal service, four dive times per day, and went out of their way to be helpful.

Coconut, dove a cenote the last dive-day of the trip and had an amazing experience.

Did you do your AOW?

Yes. I ended up doing my PADI AOW on the first five dives of the trip. I've had a YMCA Open Water II since 1985 which is at least the same thing. The best thing is that I got 5 different dives one-on-one with a very good local instructor that I asked not to cut me any slack. And he didn't. I love to learn and it is helpful to have someone else watch me to help catch the things I miss.

With the special they were running it was $100 including the book and certification expenses once you pay for the dives. 1-on-1 instruction for five dives alone was worth the $100.

Coconut - Due to time constraints I was only able to get to one Cenote - Chac Mool

Congratulations,
I did my Rescue Cert with them. They kicked my tail! By far the best organization I have ever used for making you feel at home.

Congrats on going for your AOW. I agree with Coconut's point and skip the Nitrox for now. Do your AOW course, get more comfortable with your skills and then see if that is something you have to have.

I do hope you can arrange to go 1 day to Cozumel and dive. Most mainland dive shops can arrange this for you. Yes, it is a long day to get up early, get to the ferry, ferry over and meet your op, boat out to the reefs, dive and then do the reverse... but Cozumel is a world class diving site and not to be missed, especially as you are so close. You may end up vacationing over there after that! You may have noticed there is a whole sub-forum on SB for Cozumel.... for a reason.
:)

Have a great trip!

If they're going on a day that works for you, you can go directly from Playa with Tank Ha on their boat, avoiding ferry trips, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom