Canister light battery charging question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I unplugged it from the charger and put it back in the light. Low and behold the light came on, so it must have been charging. I left it unplugged for a couple of hours. I just plugged it back it and the green light is now flashing....weird.
Any idea why the burn time has dropped down to only an hour and a half? I'll be running it through a few more charge cycles to see if it increases.
Carrie

Hi Carrie,

What you're experiencing is normal. The battery is not a single cell, but a group of 10 cells all trying to communicate with each other. To get full charge out of a group of NiMH cells, you must charge the light 4-5 times. Sometimes you might get 4-5 hours of burn time from your light, the next cycle it might be 1.5 hours. Just be patient and give it the full 4-5 cycles. At the end of this process your light should be burning for the full 4-5 hours.

Also, remember to use your NiMH battery at least once a month. The more you use them, the better they perform. If you're not diving at least once a month, dive the light in your kitchen sink, just like you are now, to keep your battery in good condition.

Kathleen

Hi Carrie,

What you're experiencing is normal. The battery is not a single cell, but a group of 10 cells all trying to communicate with each other. To get full charge out of a group of NiMH cells, you must charge the light 4-5 times. Sometimes you might get 4-5 hours of burn time from your light, the next cycle it might be 1.5 hours. Just be patient and give it the full 4-5 cycles. At the end of this process your light should be burning for the full 4-5 hours.

Also, remember to use your NiMH battery at least once a month. The more you use them, the better they perform. If you're not diving at least once a month, dive the light in your kitchen sink, just like you are now, to keep your battery in good condition.

Kathleen

Thank you for the response. I didn't realize that some of the charge cycles would be so short. I think it has now gone through 5 or 6 charge cycles and the burn time is probably getting close to 6 hours.
Can you tell me how long it should take a fully depleted battery to recharge?
Thanks,
Carrie

Hi,

A couple of hours should do it. I leave mine on the charger overnight, because I always forget to go back and take it off, but if you're better at taking care of your gear than I am, charge it in your kitchen or somewhere you'll trip over it and take it back off the charger right when it's done.

Cheers,
Kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom