Cannon Housing Depth Ratings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My canon housing is rated at 100ft and I'm fine with that since I very rarely go anywhere to 100ft unless its Ballbuster in Monterey.

bigfrog23:
one last this, use tissue paper to check for leeks put it in the housing and it is a great way to check for leaks.
throw an Alkaseltzer or asprin in the case

I took a S70 housing down to 50-55m. Leaks isn't the problems but as others have mentioned, the buttons become a problem as the pressure is too much for most of the button springs. Got a few shots off before the display button got stuck and made the camera inoperatable at that depth.

Any updates on your pictures with your new setup? I have the SD 800is and I too ordered the WP case that you mentioned... I'm going to be taking mine to Break Water in Monterey... Just simple pictures and maybe some live video since the camera is equipped with that function...

MG

Go to whatever depth you need to - Canon will sell you a refurb if you flood it. I have the Canon housing for my A70, but when I got my A620, I popped for the Ikelite. Worth every <---- extra shekel.

I saw the Ikelite, but it is much more bulky than the Canon case... I guess I looking for just the basics and smaller is better for now...

I'll probably change if I go deeper and love it... Who knows what I'll find at 140 and beyond....

MG

one last this, use tissue paper to check for leeks put it in the housing and it is a great way to check for leaks.

Another couple of things...
1) Use the tissue paper as bigfrog suggested but first draw some lines on it with a marking pen that is not waterproof - if the ink runs, you'll know moisture got in there, even if the paper seems dry when you take it out.
2) Don't just take the casing down. Make a run through pressing each button and lever. You might not get any leaks until you exercise the rubber gaskets so use the housing as you would if a camera was in it.

Good luck. (I've had my 130'-rated housing down to about 160' without a problem. Also a Canon housing.)

I spoke to a Canon rep and the cases are tested to 150 feet. They use 130 as a safety stop and I believe any more than that is going to place your camera at risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom