Canon 10D or 300D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxdoyle

Reaction score
Excluding cost - what would be the pros & cons of the EOS 10D vs the 300D?

I was thinking of the 300D but the long wait to get an u/w housing has made me think of getting a 10D instead.

To me, the 300D seems to be a fully automated version of the 10D in a plastic body..whereas the 10D seems to offer more creative control through many more configuration choices..

Am I missing something?

If you have the money and enjoy creative control over your images, et the 10D.

10D has a better viewfinder, color controls, metering mode controls, AF mode controls, etc.

And the 10D costs about $600 more. I looked at the 10D but bought the 300D. For my useage the extra features of the 10D were not worth the extra money. The CMOS and processor are the same in both cameras.

That said, if the creative features of the 10D you mention are important and the $600 is burning pocket holes, the 10D is the way to go. It is the superior camera.

---Bob

I went to the shop to buy the 300D..but they were sold out..so I ended up with the 10D and a new canon 15mm lens..

However I must admit it seems a much more solid camera and the jog dial and other controls make using it a dream

Now a housing...

Greg

Knowing that ALL housings will eventually leak.....I would be upset losing a $200 cheapie digital....

but a $1500 10D....and the lens????? my god, i have to go have a drink.....

I guess that's what insurance is for. :)

Keep us posted on how you like the 10D, and what kind of housing you go for. We're trying to make the same decision (10D v 300D), and I'd love to hear more from the folks on this board before we go blow the $$$!

...a few years ago I bought an EOS5 35 mm with all the bells and whistles but found that the automotic features were so good I rarely had cause to use the manual settings so I kind of thought I had bought much more than I needed and would have been just as happy with a cheaper EOS model

...remembering this experience I was tending towards the 300D instead of the 10D..

HOWEVER I took my 2 year old son to the botanical garders today with the new 10D and a 2.2 Gig card..I ended up shooting 600 photos of him (the card showed space for 1000!!!) playing around and ended up using almost all of the creative features of the camera..these tools make so much more sense on a digital camera where you can take test shots and see the results immediately. I reckon my general photo composition skills improved 100% in the afternoon.

ANYWAY I think the 10D was the better choice, but I am completely lost about which housing to get.

The SUBAL is unbelievably expensive but alot of people reckon the ikelite is certain to leak before any other model. I am going to wait until I actually see a guy on a boat and underwater with a housing...

ok here is my take on the digital rebel vs the 10D, having handled both in a variety of conditions in and around a local camera shop, and editted the pictures. First off the technical pieces.

build: the build of the rebel is more plastic then metal build, even though the sub frame is metal, were as the 10D is a solid metal frame similar to the canon EOS 3.

internal electronics and sensor are the same for both.

metering: this is were the two cameras are really different because on the rebel its all automatic and chosen for you were on the 10D you have several styles to choose from or set it to focus only on one particular point. also the AF on the 300D is allitle bit more rough and clunkier then the 10D which is supposedly based of either the same AF as the EOS3 or Elan 7e.

flash on the the 300D is like most point and shots it sense what output it needs and sets it in the camera for when you take the picture, and will sync to a external flash to a max of 1/200 of a second. were as with the 10D you have up to a 1/500 and you can control the flash compensation on the onboard or external flash.

images and size: both cameras take the same and can take both jpegs and raw images(for those who want the ultimate control in post editting) but the difference in imaging is that hte 300D processes the images like any other P&S cam would do, were as the

lens mount the the 300D has a special lense mount called the EF-s mount which uses both normal EF series lenses or the new EF-s mount which lenses are designed for digitals only, which at this time there is only one lense and that the 19-55 lense that is sold with the 300D. one thing to be aware of is that both of these cams have a 1.6 crop factor as to using a normal camers so at 20mm on the lense mentioned above its actually 32 mm.

all the tech specs are good but you have to remeber that the digital rebels images are processed in the camera so that they will be sharp or similar output to most consumer and P&S cameras. With the 10D you will have to work on the images to get them to look just the way they will need to get the same results (ie some adjustment and sharping of them image). This can be done in PS elements or a full version of 7(as long as you have the RAW plugin to convert the image) or CS(new and just realeased

overall both cameras have the ups and downs, but i personally would get the 10D because i have more control over the process of how images are processed, and for low light the 10D is real good.

if you want a complete review take a look at one here
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/ 300D Digital Rebel

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/ 10D

Your Mileage May Vary

as for housings im hoping that Sea & Sea will be doing a housing for the 10D, but at the same time i wish they would expand the lens range for ports and domes to include non third party canon lenses and for them to cover the 15mm - 100mm, ie so i could use a 14-40 L F4, 16-35 L F2.8, 28-70L F2.8 in zooms or 20,24,28 f2.8, 50mm f1.4, and seveal other lenses but i have listed enough. also on the housing i would like to have support for the full range strobes they have.

on the design depart from the normal styling to move more towards a pistol grip design for the housing with some of the main controls on the grips, and one last finall thing, rate to 300 Feet.

Dan

I will take issue with the ridiculous statement made by gxdoyle about "alot of people reckon the ikelite is certain to leak before any other model" because the truth is exactly opposite.

When was the last time you heard of an Ikelite camera control leaking? And flooding usually means customer or Ikelite did something dumb.............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom