Canon 10D or 300D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxdoyle once bubbled...
...but alot of people reckon the ikelite is certain to leak before any other model. I am going to wait until I actually see a guy on a boat and underwater with a housing...

I have to agree with Ike on this one! <gasp> :wacko: I read alot of stuff about Ikelite but expecting their housings to leak isn't part of it. In fact there is very little evidence that flooding is ever caused by the housing itself, no matter what brand it is, because it's almost always user error.

gxdoyle once bubbled...

The SUBAL is unbelievably expensive but alot of people reckon the ikelite is certain to leak before any other model. I am going to wait until I actually see a guy on a boat and underwater with a housing...

I've got to agree with both Ike ( who it must be admitted has a vested interest in this), and Dee - i've got >1000 dives on my ike housings and never had a "leak", the things are just about bullet proof - they are NOT Idiot proof however, if it floods it was human error ( most likely yours - ike does good work).

the only real complaint you can make about ike houseings is the size when compared to the rediculously expensive other brands. why? because ike only uses two (modern ) styles of housings to fit most cameras - others custom build a housing for a particular camera body, and there's the reason for the price - not the quality of the work.

i wouldn't mind seeing a glass port some time ike.

gxdoyle once bubbled...

The SUBAL is unbelievably expensive but alot of people reckon the ikelite is certain to leak before any other model.

I am also curious as to where you got this information from. I have used a couple of different Ikelite housings now and really like it. Granted that I have never used the metal housing by Subal, Sea and Sea, Light and Motion etc but I find the Ikelite very well made and actually I feel safer using the clear housing rather than metal housing. While no housing is idiot proof, the clear housing does give you an additional opportunity to check your o-ring seal after you close the housing which I find more reassuring.

OK so I bought the Canon 10D. But I have not pulled the trigger on a housing. Who has and which one do they have?

Jonas

..ok points well made boys..Ikelite is back on my list..

just to be clear I NEVER said Ikelites leak more than other housings..I said many people (actually at least 4) had told me they do and these were professional photographers that I had approached for advice because I had no idea what housing to go for..for these guys Ikelite was one of the lowest ranked housings

But if other guys that actually use Ikelite can point to 1,000 succesful dives then that is encouraging and a more reliable datapoint than the predjudice of somebody who has never actually used one.

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom