Canon 40D Strobe advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mucksavage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All

I have just bought a Canon 40D (the easy part) and I am now trying to wade though my underwater options.

The 40D has a 17-85MM lens. Apart from being confused about what ports I need to add to the Ikelite housing I plan to buy, I am also trying to work out what strobe set up. I plan to start with this 17-85MM lens (its a zoom lens so this affects port choices???) but would expect to buy a macro lens soon enough.

So I am looking at this strobe
Cameras Underwater:

for this housing
Cameras Underwater: Ikelite housing for Canon EOS 40D: 6870.40

for this camera and lens
CANON EOS 40D with EF-S 17-85 F4-5.6 IS

Any comments, thoughts and especially advice will be warmly recieved!!

Yours in happy confusion

MS

You need port #5503.90 ........ $250 or the 8" dome port system. The DS-125 is the perfect strobe for the Ikelite housing. Be sure to get the #3944.75 with the ball arm and battery charger.

if you are going to get an ikelite housing i would stick with ikelite strobes. i have the DS200 and Sea and sea 250 and love them both. the DS200 are ikelites top of the line strobe and have changed little over the years. they have all the power you will ever need and have great coverage. i actually also have a set of old SS200 with work great in manual which is all i ever shoot in and are identical in specks to the new ones excepts they don't work in TTL like the DS200. the DS200 are a little more than the ikelite 125s but the 125s have also been discontinued and are being replaced by the ikelite 160's which are a little more powerful and should be brighter the the z240 so the might be the right choice for you. both the DS200 strobes and the 150's are very reliable and you can make a bad choice with ether of them.

if you plan to buy from Cameras underwater i suggest you give them a call and have a chat with them. Their head office in Ottery St. Mary i've always found to be very helpful and prepared to give the time to helping you.

If you are planning to visit give yourself enough time to find the place!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom