Canon A720 IS & WP-DC16 Housing availability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowDidIGetIntoThis?

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having trouble finding a single source for the A720 and housing. Perhaps this model is a little too new to be commonly available? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Does buying a camera through mail order introduce any additional complications if it is necessary to get repair work done under warranty?

Is extended warranty worthwhile? I'm envisioning flooding to be the major threat to its longevity and it would be a wonderful warranty that would cover that eventuality.

T.I.A.

I'm having trouble finding a single source for the A720 and housing. Perhaps this model is a little too new to be commonly available? Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Does buying a camera through mail order introduce any additional complications if it is necessary to get repair work done under warranty?

Is extended warranty worthwhile? I'm envisioning flooding to be the major threat to its longevity and it would be a wonderful warranty that would cover that eventuality.

T.I.A.

Hi HowDidIGetIntoThis

I'm sure u can easily get the A720 from all the site mentioned above.

I have the A720 housing for sale if you are interested, used of course. Done only 12 dives with it and have since bought the G9 and its housing so now the A720 housing must go (@ US$120 negotiable). My camera was sold to a non-diver, so only the housing is for sale. Email me (justjim@gmail.com) if u r interested.

Good luck hunting for your camera.

HDIGIT -

Try Adorama Camera. Do a search for "A720 IS" (note the space), and both camera and housing appear, in stock. I got mine there - fair price, good service, quick delivery, free shipping. B&H is also very good, but a little pricier. Both houses are well-regarded sources for both professional and amateur gear.

At those prices, neither place is going to provide much in the way of after-sale service, but not sure you really need more than Canon provides for a P&S anyway - not only are there few user-repairable parts, there's not much that a shop can do either - replacement is probably the only cost-effective option in that price range.

As to warranties against fl**d, get insurance. If your camera gets wet, it will be wrecked, and not covered under any warranty, except for maybe some water-resistant models (which won't have near the features of the 720).

HTH,

T.I.A.

You might try Amazon.com.....I checked the other day & you can get the A570 for 150 & the housing for 144 for total of 294, free shipping & no taxes...see links...

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

Amazon.com: Canon WP-DC12 Waterproof Case for Canon A570IS Digital Camera: Electronics

jbmooney et al, thanks for your advice. Where does one buy fl**d insurance? For such a relatively inexpensive item, I'm surprised that it would be worthwhile. As silly as it seems, at ~$200 apiece wouldn't it be better just to carry a second camera as a spare (for topside use, until the case gets fixed)?

It's also at B&H, both the ikelite and the cannon versions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom