Canon Digital S300 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyscubanerd

Registered
Reaction score
After looking over the boards, I am having problems with the following two questions. I'm extremley new to underwater photgoraphy and need some help. My camera takes good pictures underwater in the canon housing, but the colors are often not as good as what I see from other people that are posting. I think this is because of the lack of a light. So I have two questions:

1.) What should I use for a light with my camera? If you believe I should just use the one that comes with the camera, should I force this to always flas hunder all circumstances?

2.) What should I use for color modification software? Any free packages out there? Any filters I can run my pictures through or is it truly a manual process.

Thanks for the help,

Kevin=-)

To get full colors under water you need an external strobe. The cameras internal flash isn't as strong and as a fixed flash it will produce backscatter. Using the internal flash with every picture will help.

I don't know of any free photo manipulation programs out there. Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop Elements are just two that alot of people use. I have an Adobe Photoshop Deluxe program that came with a scanner that I use alot, but I don't think it's available anymore.

nycubanerd, look into ACDSee. It's a shareware image manipulation program and I like it a lot. It can do quite a bit in terms of image/color manipulation. Its AutoLevels filter (basically an automatic make-this-image-look-nice button) works surprisingly well too. It supports a multitude of image formats, interfaces directly with scanners and cameras, has a very nice image viewer with slideshow, etc. It may not have all the complexity and advanced features of PhotoShop, but then again, you don't have to shell out hundreds of dollars for it either.

http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/ACDSee/index.htm

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom