Canon EOS M with Nauticam housing — First Review (and compared to my S100)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rob1967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For the past 20 months, I have been using the Canon S100 with RecSea housing, and I have gotten some great pics with it. I dive a lot, and I did about 300 dives with it. The housing has stood up very well, despite quite a bit of use and abuse. I took so many photos with it that I actually burned out the on-board flash on my first S100 a few months ago, but luckily I had a second one as back-up. You can see my best pics with it by following the smugmug link below. (If anyone wants to buy an S100 with a burnt-out flash, make me an offer! It's about $150 to replace the flash, so a bit of a toss-up as to whether it is worth replacing the flash. Or if someone has a dead S100 with a flash that still works, maybe we can make a deal!).

So then I was on my second S100 in the same housing, with no more back-up. I felt that I had sort of reached the maximum of what the camera could do anyways, and was ready to make the jump to a higher-end set-up. I really like the Canon S100 for the ease of the control of shooting full manual underwater, and the colours that Canon somehow gets, they just seem better to me than Nikon or the other brands. So I wanted to stay loyal to the Canon brand. I was thinking mirrorless, but the Canon EOS M was late to the game and the reviews were not good (main complaint is poor auto-focus), so I was thinking of just going for SLR. However, the more I researched, the more I started to realize that mirrorless (IMHO) is the way of the future for underwater photography. I didn't like the idea of using an optical viewfinder underwater, live-view seems better for underwater, and I was already used to live-view. SLR just seemed too bulky for me, and all that bulk for an optical viewfinder I didn't even want to use. Plus, cameras now have so much computing power, shutter-lag and live-view lag are a fading issue.

So in June-July, when Canon cut the price of the EOS M in half to about $400, and also released a firmware update to improve the autofocus, I decided to take the plunge. I purchased the Canon EOS M in July. It came with the 18-55 mm EF-M kit lens. I also bought the $200 adaptor so that it could take any Canon SLR lens, because I wanted to use the Canon 60 mm EFS lens (which I also bought) that is very popular for underwater macro. I also put in an order for the Nauticam housing, along with both available ports, i.e., the 18-55 mm kit lens and the 60 mm macro.

Nauticam is the only housing available for this camera so far, and it is high-quality machined aluminum for around $1500, which is half the price of a similar-quality SLR housing. According to topside reports, the image quality of the EOS M is as good or better than the Rebels (they have the same sensor). The question is, how would it perform underwater? Would it focus?

I haven't seen anybody write a review for this camera for underwater use yet, so I thought I would share what I have found out so far.

First of all, the Canon EOS-M is a great little camera, and is fun to use topside. I had to wait a while before the housing came in. I finally got the housing in September, but initially only with the kit lens port. The housing seems to be of very good quality. I tried a few dives with it, but quickly realized the kit lens is not suitable for underwater, because the minimum working distance is too long. Totally useless for macro! It also didn't seem to focus particularly well compared to my compact S100. It was perhaps OK for bigger stuff, but even then, the working distance seemed too long. Here is the best shot I could manage after 2 dives with the kit lens:

wolf-eel-M.jpg

(wolf-eel shot)

So I went back to my Canon S100 and waited for the 60 mm macro port to come in, thinking that would be my salvation. Well, I finally got it last week, and here is the best shot I got so far:
IMG_0732-M.jpg
(head of an octopus)

If you want to see a few more shots, check out: Canon EOS M - robertroy

What I found was that it did not focus particularly well unless it had a lot of light (luckily I have a good focus light in the Sola 800). It does take nice sharp macro when it does focus, but it was at times quite difficult to achieve focus. Maybe because there was not enough light, not enough contrast, or I was too close. I even tried the manual focus with some limited success. Also, the 60 mm macro lens is significantly bulkier than the kit lens (the native EF-M lenses are nice and small, but there are only three so far, and a port exists only for the 18-55 so far). I also found that the fixed focal length of the 60 mm is very limiting underwater. It is basically only good for shooting small stuff, i.e., nudibranch-size or smaller, say about 4 cm or less. With any larger subject, you have to back off too much and your image quality goes down rapidly. The octopus above was small, his body was maybe 10 x 15 cm, but I couldn't quite get his whole body in the frame without backing off too much. So the best shot I could manage was of just his eyes.

So then I thought, great, I've just wasted $4k on a rig that works less well than what I already had. The Canon S100 focuses very well, and is nice and light-weight, and takes great video. I get nice macro with the accessory wet lens (2 x 3 diopter flip lens), and decent wide-angle with the accessory wet wide-angle lens (although the wet lens is optically not super-sharp). But even without accessory wet-lenses the S100 is still quite versatile.

What I needed was a diopter for the kit lens, but I am not sure what wet lens would fit on my housing. So I had the bright idea last week to buy a dry macro lens. After a quick internet search, I bought a set of three 52 mm screw-on close-up lenses for about $60. They fit on the end of the lens like a filter. The set came with a +1, a +2 and a +4 diopter. Basically they are reading glasses for your lens. They can also be stacked, although 2 stacked barely fits in the housing (it actually bangs lightly against the dome if you zoom in all the way). Topside tests seem promising. It seems to focus very well close-up, and the minimum working distance is nicely reduced. I will report back when I have tried it underwater! (which unfortunately might not be for another week or two!)

So bottom line is, if you are a beginner underwater photographer, get a Canon compact! I.e., S100, S110, S120, or G15, G16.

I haven't given up yet on the EOS-M and I hope that I will get good macro shots with the kit lens and a +4 dry diopter, but I will have to let you know in the next few weeks!

p.s. I tested the image quality of the 18-55 vs. the 60 mm macro and they are the same as near as I can tell with my eye. The 18-55 is brighter (lets in more light at a given aperture) but has a longer working distance. Hopefully with the diopter it will be just as good for macro as the 60 mm, and a lot more versatile if a bigger subject comes along.

cheers and happy diving!

Last edited:
I'm starting to get some better shots with the 60 mm macro lens and a +4 dry diopter (it screws on to the end of the lens like a filter, inside the housing).

Here are a few samples:

Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker:

Bay Pipefish:

Thanks for the info! I love the M above water, I use it as my everyday carry camera. What you say about underwater rings true with my experience with the camera. I will stick with the G12 for now.

I thought I should add more to my review now that I have had a chance to get used to the camera. During my recent trip to the Philippines last month, I had the chance to really put it through its paces, and this is what I found. The 18-55 kit lens works fairly well with a +4 dry diopter, and provides fairly good versatility. Here is an example of a juvenile batfish:

The 60 mm macro lens provides nice sharp macro shots. This lens doesn't really need a diopter since it already focuses quite close, so I eventually settled on using a +1 or +2 on it.

Here is a juvenile emperor angelfish with this lens. I think I had the +2 diopter on for this:

Here is a pic of a couple of cute white-lined combtooth blennies:

These photos were all from Sogod Bay, Sourthern Leyte, which proved to be a very nice dive place.

So overall, for beginners, I would definitely recommend a compact Canon. If you have maxed out your compact and want to take a step up, the Canon EOS M is a good option. It may not focus quite as well as an SLR (which is only an issue for faster-moving subjects), but is more compact and affordable (especially the housing) than SLR, with basically the same image quality as SLR.

Using a Canon S110 now, and was wondering going down the M route specifically to get images with higher detail. The S110 is a great shooter: focuses close and is sharp for what it's sensor is worth. But viewing images in hi-res these days simply calls for more detail.

Would you recommend I look the other way? By "other way" of course I mean the Sony RX100? :)

Good question boy22ban, and to be honest, I am not quite sure what to say. I think in general once you have gotten the hang of the compacts and crave higher detail, mirrorless is the way to go for the future. You could go SLR, the Canon 70D looks awesome, but SLR generally big and expensive. The SL-1 is smaller, and intriguing, not really much bigger than the EOS M.

I am generally happy with the M. The native lenses work well (i.e., focus fast), and are compact, but there are only a few choices (i.e., the 18-55 and the 11-22). The 60 mm EF-S macro works with the M, but focus is kind of slow. I find it is really only good for slower moving things like nudibranchs.

It seems like Canon (and Nikon) don't really want to get into the Mirrorless market because they already own the SLR market. Canon has released the EOS M 2 now, but only in Asia. There are rumours that it will not be released in North America. They don't even sell the 11-22 lens in the USA. It's like they are afraid to admit that mirrorless is the way of the future. I bought the M because I like Canon and wanted to stay loyal to Canon, but for mirrorless, Oly and Sony are the dominate players.

I agree that the lack of lens options is another thing: the lack of fisheye glass for the M line is something to consider.

I also agree that the SL1 is something worth considering, bet the lack of housings on offer is rather disappointing. Thats enough to make me reconsider investing in the system.

The RX100 really raised the standards for compacts, and Canon should see this.

I have been a Canon shooter since the 300d/Rebel and I tend to stick to canons just because. If the next S release features a larger sensor, I stay. But right now, I think my next system will be based on Sony's RX.

Cheers.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom