Canon G10 or SeaLife DC1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splash-X

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

Before we jump in I would like to give you a bit of information about my current setup. I started with a Canon A650 for underwater use. While on a trip, the camera was stolen but the case was not taken. I was in a pinch and went for the biggest and best camera that was avalaible at the store at the time, a Sea & Sea DX1G.

I would have to say that the Sea & Sea has left me VERY disappointed. The underwater mode shoots in RAW which is great but even with the fastest memory card avalaible, the write time and recycle is roughly 10-15 seconds. It takes good pictures.... some times.For me to get the most out of it I would need to find a local dealer who could offer me a class on the full use of the camera. Most of my LDS are dealers but don't have anyone who knows much about this specific camera.

I have a Sea & Sea YS-27 strobe that works great with both camera. When I compare the pictures from both cameras the Canon usualy takes much cleaner, crisp photos. Not only that but my Canon also shoots in continus mode. I can get those hard to get shots.

So, I'm ready to sell my DX1G and move on to something better. My LSD is pushing for a Sea Life camera and the latest is a DC1000. I love my Canon so I'm also looking at the G10. I don't need the camera for above water so lets keep this to strictly an underwater basis.

How does the DC1000 compare to, say the G10 (or even a G9)? I'm looking for something that is easy to start out with and add on to. The DC1000 has options like the lense filters, wide angle lense, etc while the G10 is somewhat limited based on my research.

I'm really only looking form information to compare the DC1000 to the G10 (or G9). If you have a different suggestion as to the camera I would be glad to hear it but please don't comment telling my about a previous model camera that works so the "newer" model sould work.

Thanks!

You are going to find the Canon A much better buy, And much Better quality, both in the pictures and the camera!

I would stay with Canon, and I can say that with experience of both units!

The differences are night and day when comparing the Dc1000 with the G10. The Dc1000 does not write in Raw or have any manual controls. The G10 on the other hand writes RAW and has every manual control possible. Also the quality of the lens, sensor and overall build is much much better on the Canon. They are completely different beasts entirely.

I was considering buying the DC1000 or the Sea&Sea 1200HD, when I was pointed in the direction of the G10. I was currently shooting with an older Oly system at the time and wanted to take it up a notch. I settled with the G10 / Ikelite case over the others because of the manual controls and Raw functionality.

I would say that the DX1G is very close if not on par with what the G10 can do. It is a fine camera. The G10 will write Raw files faster but that's about it.

How much you want for the DX1G?

Good information so far. I'll look more in to housing, wide angle lenses, etc for the G10 while this thread grows.

Jim, having used both units why do you prefer the G10?

Jay, Thanks for the links to the pics

Frank, I'll PM you about the DX1G.

I think my major disappointment with the DXG1 is the slow write times/recycle. I am happy with the camera itself but I can't have 10 - 15 second write times.

After trying both Units, I found such a Huge difference in the quality Hands down.
Canon was 10 times better, Also as mentioned by frank the sealife has no real user controls.

Canon..... It is the High Quality of a Canon

The Sealife, I don't want to bad mouth them so Lets just say, I was not at all impressed with any part of the unit.

The Sealife, I don't want to bad mouth them so Lets just say, I was not at all impressed with any part of the unit.

In no way should any of us bad mouth Sealife. They are a good company with excellent customer service and offer a nice selection of entry level underwater photography equipment. The Dc1000 is essentially a Minox camera uploaded with SeaLife's software. Minox is a German based optics manufacturer that has a decent reputation in the "off brand" sector. You can achieve pretty good results when using the SeaLife's systems, they just don't offer the quality and interface options that the major brands offer "ie Canon, Nikon Olympus".

For good bang for your buck, SeaLife puts together a nice system with camera, housing, tray and wide angle lens for under a grand. Not to many other options out there for the same price. Hell, just my G10 and Ikelite housing cost more then that.

The lesson to be learned is you get what you pay for I guess.

Canon offers an underwater housing for the G10 just like my a650 but even with the camera, housing and strobe you're at or very near $1,000.

Seeing how I put $1,000 in to my DX1G for the housing and camera I can honestly say that I'm doing more research this time. The high price tag doesn't scare me off but if I'm left disappointed in my purchase that in itself will be a huge turn off.

Sea & Sea makes some great strobes.... but I think they dropped the ball on the DX1G.

That said, I'm sure SeaLife makes some great products but if their top of the line doesn't match up to some one elses that is an important aspect of the purchase.

I think the DX1G has its strong points. The underwater case is solid and the camera has the ability to take 2 AAA batteries if your S&S battery dies. But for the purpose of underwater use of photographing wildlife it has alot of room for improvment.

I think one of the best appeals Canon offers is the wide support for ABOVE water use. Alot of Canon dealers will be able to assist me in learning the camera and I can take that and apply it under water as well.

I'm still open to hearing people offer other makes and models in or around this range of quality.

It is not a fair comparison between the G10 and the DC1000. The G10 is more a prosumer level of camera, way above a P&S system. If you are looking at a great quality value relationship and aren't concerned with having all the controls offered with the G10, the DC1000 mwould be perfect. if you are expecting to shoot in RAW and want the full gammut of all the manual controls and like to spend a good part of your dive pushing buttons, then the G10 is the way to go.

Looks like you have a good resource on the board now it is a matter of what you want and research.

good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom