Canon G10 - Patima or Ikelite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Again MadDog

The thing about being set up for Macro and then having a 7 meter Tiger Shark swim past was precisely my concern. Yesterday I visited the only person around here who is an experienced UW Photographer and he gave me exactly the same advice as yours - almost word for word! It’s great when you realize that the reason it’s hard to find answers is because you are asking the wrong questions! You’ve been a great help.

That's a pretty severe mistake on their side.
Can you tell me, did the housing for the G9 have threads on both ports?
Only seen this housing for a brief moment and paid more attention to the craftmanship in general rather than important detail. Go figure.

What's your opinion on my theory of beeing able to do decent macro with the short port on?
Atleast on land I would say the G10 has a very good macrofunction even at the widest.

I own and regularly shoot the Patima G9 housing, w/ Dual Optically Connected Inon Z-240's and the Inon UWL-100 lens W/ Semi-Fisheye Dome.

The Patima G9 did come with 67mm threads on both the short and long ports. However, because the Patima G9's long port is not tapered out, you need to zoom in significantly to get past the vignetting, which is apparently why they changed the design on the G10. I use the long port with either single or dual Inon close-up lenses, and even though I need to zoom in to eliminate the vignetting, when I added a close-up lens, I have gotten some respetable results. Here's a couple of examples:

BHB_04-26-2009_011.jpg

BHB_04-26-2009_045.jpg

With the Patima G10's long port, you should be able to shoot some decent macro, but you will probably not be able to bring the camera in as close to the subject as you would like for underwater use. However, if you can add close-up lenses, which it sounds like you can with the adapter, then shortening the distance should not be a problem.

As far as the construction of the Patima G9, which appears to be similar to the G10, the housing itself is rock solid and is built like a tank. The housing is ergonomically well designed and controls all the buttons. Most of the buttons can be reached with your right hand and the window for the monitor is large. I am very happy with my Patima housing!

If I had to point out the negatives of the housing, I'd say:

1 - It's very heavy, so make sure that you combine it with floatation aids to assist with the weight underwater.

2 - The connection for optical cables only holds one cable, so you will most likely need to fun your first strobe as a slave to your second strobe, but that should not affect performance of the strobes at all.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Again MadDog

The thing about being set up for Macro and then having a 7 meter Tiger Shark swim past was precisely my concern. Yesterday I visited the only person around here who is an experienced UW Photographer and he gave me exactly the same advice as yours - almost word for word! It’s great when you realize that the reason it’s hard to find answers is because you are asking the wrong questions! You’ve been a great help.

No problem at all PNGDiver,
Just remember the reason you go diving and enjoy all that you see and experience whilst under the ocean. And also no question is to dumb to ask, the dumb thing is not asking at all.

Enjoy your housing, whatever you get and have patience, the results will come!

Last edited:
Canon G10 and FIX housing works great. Fix has constructed a compact housing for the G10 with all controls available. The housing is so tight to the camera there is no room for the silica pack. Fogging hasn't been a probelm. The price is high $999.

Hi all

Just a follow up on this thread in case anyone is still curious. I have received emails back from the manufacturers about the compatability of the Fantasea Bigeye WA lens and the Reefnet Subsee Adaptor for macro lenses with the long port (the one that does allow you to zoom) on the Patima G10 housing.

I have copied the relevant parts of their responses below. From our above discussion it seems that the only way you could attach the Bigeye is with a push-on 67mm adaptor.

FROM FANTASEA (For the BigEye):

Mounting the BigEye Lens M67 (Cat. No. 5137), which features a 67mm thread, on the Patima housing lens port using the proper adaptor mentioned in your e-mail, should be successful.

Since we haven't previously tested this BigEye Lens on the Patima Housing, I cannot advise regarding a possible vignette, although if encountered, it should be a very slight one.

However, we would like to offer you to purchase this lens and try mounting it on your lens port. If you are not satisfied with the setting once established, you can send it back to us and receive full credit for the lens, as long as it was not used underwater and is returned in its original condition. For the BigEye Lens M67 on the Fantasea website, see- Fantasea Line Water Sports Photo Products & Accessories- BigEye Lens M67

FROM REEFNET (For the Subsee adaptor):

I have an adapter designed for the Patima G10 Standard Port (106mm outer diameter). The SubSee port adapters connect to ports/housings by 1-4 finger-tightened set-screws which can easily be loosened while underwater. However, you may not need to remove the adapter at all, in order to install an external wide angle lens, depending on its size/geometry.

Hello Folks...I use a Ikelite Housing for my G10,with a 6" Dome port,a DS 125,and a DS 51 and it works perfect...I store it all in a HPRC Hard case,everything fits inside except the charger for the DS 125...

Goneaway,

have you considered the Fisheye Fix G10 housing at all? its the smallest of them all, easily integrates with Sea & Sea and Inon fiber optic cables, and has both a flip macro lens, and a wide angle conversion port.

Goneaway,

have you considered the Fisheye Fix G10 housing at all? its the smallest of them all, easily integrates with Sea & Sea and Inon fiber optic cables, and has both a flip macro lens, and a wide angle conversion port.

I did consider the Fisheye, but due to some factors I ruled it out.
Mostly because there was no place I could see the housing IRL and the square port seemed like an odd solution.
I simply doubted the performance of the housing and I was lacking real life experince of it so it would've been a gamble.

However, I did go for the Patima housing, UPS guy should be here tomorrow. And I'm going to try it next week, only in pool though. I'm now considering what strobe I should get, if any. I might hold with the strobe purchase since I fear it will be quite cumbersome with all the gear on travel.

/Fredrik

Goneaway,

Does anyone have photos taken with the new dome port for the FIX? This is supposed to be a super wide, 130 degree FOV semi-fisheye lens. Not a wet lens but a port. This might be the best solution for a non SLR camera, macro to super wide (with the expensive 600 dollar port) in one camera.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom