Canon G12 versus Olympus Pen E-PL1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I is wondering what camera to get next.

Background/experience
I have about 50 dives, 12 in Fiji and the rest in Monterey. I do both boat and shore. I use a drysuit. I've gotten as far as my PADI Rescue Diver cert, and I've done PADI underwater photography course.

I was using a Canon A570IS in a Canon Housing with a SeaLife strobe, but:
  • I wasn't happy with it (see below)
  • It flooded last weekend

I wasn't happy because the viewscreen was impossible to see underwater, the recycle time was very slow, the auto-focus wasn't very reliable, and it didn't do RAW. I didn't like the strobe because it wasn't very adjustable.

Conditions in Monterey can be iffy, so I want to get a camera that isn't finicky.

My thought is that I should move up to a "compact" camera, either the Canon G12 or the Olympus Pen E-PL1. The Canon is cheaper, but the difference is only $100 and the Olympus has interchangeable lenses. Backscatter Photography in Monterey has a Canon G12 package for roughly $1500, and an Olympus package for roughly $1600.

Any thoughts?

I, for one, am very curious to read the responses.

I moved up from the Canon S80 to the EPL-1 -- which I absolutely love. I just don't see comparing the two cameras -- the sensors are so different as are the lenses. My guess is that either one will provide you with very nice images.

opinion.png

Canon G12 versus Olympus E-PL1 is apples and oranges. They can't be compared.

The G12 is a sophisticated point and shoot camera that takes great photos. Add-on lenses are not all that practical.

The E-PL1 is a step up from a point and shoot and a step below a full on DSLR.

I just saw a guy here in Bohol with a E-PL1 and his photos were fantastic. He had a few different lenses for it, two Inon strobes and the Oly housing. I didn't know him well enough to ask how much he had invested in all of it but I guarantee it was way over $1600. :shocked2:

I have a G10 and a single Sea & Sea strobe and am content with that level of amateur photography. The E-PL1 is way beyond it.

You will be able to take nice pictures with either, but the expandability of the E-PL1 or any other EVIL (electronic viewfinder, interchangeable lens) camera like the SONY NEX is its main advantage. Bigger sensors typically mean better outcomes all things being equal so I would look at the EVIL range. On the other hand, $1600 won't get you to an EVIL system with lenses, ports and strobes so maybe you have answered your own question.
Bill

I had a G9 with Ikelite housing and strobes and loved it. I mulled for quite a time on whether to upgrade to the E-PL1 or not. The G9, although older is very similar to the G12 with regards to sensor size and overall quality.

I made the leap and am very happy I did. With the E-PL1 you have a significantly more expandable and capable camera. When you couple it with a pair of the tiny Inon S2000 strobes as I have you have a very portable and very capable system.

For $1700 you can pick up the camera with 14-42 lens, Olympus housing, Sea & Sea strobe, tray and arms and a mini focus light, A good deal that will get you some great pictures and some good options for expansion.

http://www.opticaloceansales.com/ol...al-ocean-olympus-pt-ep01-system/prod_801.html

I have a different configuration, but this is a super system.

Attachments

• borneo-060352.jpg
    borneo-060352.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 278
  • borneo-059708.jpg
    borneo-059708.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 278
  • borneo-059714.jpg
    borneo-059714.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 324
  • borneo-059857.jpg
    borneo-059857.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 277
  • borneo-060330.jpg
    borneo-060330.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 248
Frank, what configuration do you have with your Olympus E-PL1? These are great shots. I'm planning to buy the housing and I already have the kit lens 14-42mm and a Sea&Sea.

Hi Connie,
Thanks for the kudos.
I have the Olympus housing, the Zen dome and the 9-18mm lens as well as a couple of Inon s2000 strobes. I also have the sola600 video/focus light.
This housing or the 10bar one will work fine with your Sea & Sea strobes. In fact I am 99.999% sure the housing is made by Sea & Sea.

front.jpg

Hi Mayang ,
I used sTTL on my trip to Sipadan in October. Even though sTTLgave the right exposure, I think I might try using manual the next time. I have had good results using strobes in manual in the past. I am still experimenting and learning with this new setup.

I think your choice should really be Canon S95/SeaRec95/FIX95 or ELP-1 with one of the Zen domes. But then with the price of the ZEN dome you are knocking on the door of a Nauticam/T2i so then you have to ask yourself what exactly it is you want, pro or near pro level quality, small size and portability, wet lens interchangeability?

It is a hard choice. For myself, I don't think the ELP-1 is quite there yet and the new Sony Alpha is much closer perhaps to some perfect middle ground but still, not quite right. Well, choices are choices and having several good choices is a good thing.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom