Canon G12 versus Olympus Pen E-PL1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't it very hard to get underwater accessories for the EPL1 ? I was seriously going to purchase it. But the UW housing alone cost nearly $1k in Singapore. As for getting interchangable lens, it seemed they were also very expensive or nearly the same price compared to the Nikon or Canon proper DSLR lens. So the question is why bother getting the Pen series when you might as well go for a full DSLR setup - and the parts are more common and readily available. The housing for the EPL1 is also really huge.

Sipadiver, it is easy to get almost any accessory here. Their case for the camera is not that big and sells for under $500 US. I know of no other camera with interchangable lens that is near that price.

While I don't use that camera, I do use both the LX-5 and their GH-1 underwater. We are talking apples and oranges here. I shoot mostly with the LX-5 (think the G12). It is far more adaptable for taking a variety of images.. I can shoot close up, or somewhat wide angle. Big things, little things. I use the GH-1 for either Macro (my water is not clear, so wide angle does not work) or wide angle when on a vacation. Lovely to take pictures, does each function much better than any Point and Shoot (I own a G10 and S90 also). But it is only doing one thing, so it should be better.

Why not go with a dslr? Well size and weight. My setup is half the size of an Dslr. But there is more. Fact is there are advantages and disadvantages of any system. In macro, a smaller sensor means more depth of field..which can be a good thing.

Taking images like this are hard with a point and shoot (using an add on lens, finding it, etc) and very, very easy with a dedicated system:

pederson_shrimp_2011_07_17_02.jpg

but when you see that lovely skate, all you can do then is take something like this:

skate_2011_09_01.jpg

I like both systems, but if you are going to take dedicated images, then the Olympus is the best size and cost there is. Going to use a point and shoot, and the field is fairly crowded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom