Canon G12 w/ 2 DS125 strobes and double cable, won't sync in power setting over 1/4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buick48

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_20150117_125615686.jpgIMG_20150117_125636376_HDR.jpgIMG_20150117_125653286_HDR.jpgHi, This is a new camera for me but I have been on 5-6 dives with no problems with it. Yesterday, we went for our first dive in Roatan for our first trip. The strobe wont sync if the power is over 1/4 on each strobe.
I have a Canon G12 with 2 Ikelite DS125's, Ikelite dual cable (new) and the strobes just came back from Ikelite for routine service.
Camera and strobes worked great in Cozumel and first dive out in Roatan, took pictures in bright light so had strobes turned down, taking picture in area and needed a little more light so turned up to 1/2 then full then ttl and got almost black pictures. On 1/4 and 1/8 it works fine just black above that.
Spent all day working on it with settings etc. and no luck. Had local expert photographer look at it and she thought it was fixed but would have to leave on ttl and M but that is not working. I got it to work ok on Auto but now that wont work either. Anyone have any ideas??? I know without setting info its tough but maybe someone has same issues..
Also, I brought my other camera, Sony RX100M2 with Ikelite housing and same strobes. have to use EV Controllers, funny thing, the strobes work on ttl, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/8 but seems to be very dark on full!! I thought that was strange since it says to put the strobe on full to use it, but ttl works and the 10 settings on the EV controller works to dim the strobe.
This is a vacation trip, long since going to Utila for 2 weeks but would like to fix this ASAP PLEASE.

I added one of the pics and the properties hoping it would help someone trying to figure this out. This is not the only picture this happened with, it was a series of about 12 and then later a few more till I figured out it was turning the strobe power up so I used lower strobe power for rest of dive and other settings without a strobe. Didn't get great pics from this dive but made a lot of them work well without strong settings on strobes.
Thanks,
Jerry

Is the camera itself set to ext strobe? Set strobes to ttl camera can be on manual I would also be sure to have the strobe in the camera off.
As to using a ev controller, it is designed to be used with the strobes on ttl . You control the stobe power this way with the ev controller. Hope this works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom