Canon G7X or G1X Mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question. G1X Mark II has been out a while and seems to have potential as a great underwater compact camera. There are housings available from Ikelite, RecSea and Canon, but for whatever reason, this camera doesn't seem to have been a popular choice for underwater. Perhaps because of price, or because the Mark I was widely panned.

The G7X on the other hand is one of the most popular current choices for underwater compacts, and there are more housing options for it. Although the G1X MII has a larger sensor, they both likely have very similar image quality.

Probably you would not go wrong with either, but I would say go for the G7X for more housing and accessories choice.

I had the same choice and chose G1x Mk2 for (1) wider angle, 24 vs 28 mm; and (2) better performance in low light.

no hotshoe on the g7x. This is likely more important out of the water so that you can use a real flash, but I still use electrical sync cables in the water.

Back
Top Bottom