Canon G9 and /or GoPro for trip to Komodo.....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you tons of light, the Silver is more or less as good. Not as many video modes, frame rates, resolutions etc, but for uw-video in general you will be just fine. The Black has sharper optics and less noise. So, if you bring strong video lights the Silver is good. If you don't you will be much better of with the Black. It is getting expensive though and you will probably want tons of extras, like display, battery, mounts, filters etc. My tips is to concentrate on big stuff and general uw feeling with the GoPro. And go for the smaller things with the G9.

I don't use any light with the go pro just a red filter. That works fine for shallow dive. Video light is a complex topic that I don't master for now, so I prefer to do nothing for now instead of buying inappropriate set up.

Err, I have looked at my tray and the ikelite housing for the G9 basically takes up all the space. Does this mean I need to buy an even wider tray or could I affix the GoPro underneath the tray.....?

Grateful for any advice before I go out and purchase this stuff....

Thanks for the patience of all (esp. Interceptor!).

Rene

You can mount in underneath, all you need is a 1/4" 20-thread stainless steel screw (and a washer wide enough) or a tripod screw like this ( eBay | 1/4" CAMERA STABILIZER TRIPOD MOUNT SCREW ). If there are no holes left on the tray to attach the GoPro underneath, you could replace the existing thumb screw (that attaches your Ikelite housing) by one of these ( http://cgi.ebay.fr/Camera-Screw-Tri...ltDomain_0&hash=item53ef6cd894#ht_4201wt_1157 ) that has a female thread underneath. A 1/4" 20-thread rod cut smaller could would go in the socket and to the other end you could screw the GoPro tripod mount.

There is a setting on the GoPro that will save the video upside down - which you can always do later while editing.

Get a SRP Camera tray and mount the Cannon on top and the GoPro upside down on the bottom. Set up for the video in the upside down orientation and you are good. But you will need a blur fix, SRP's is the best and maybe filters. Be sure and update the GoPro2 firmware for Protune and turn on in setup, if you have a large fast SD card (class 10 32 Gb) and a good graphics computer and software. Search "dauntless" for some post and ideas.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

Forgot to add that the Ikelite housing will fit on an SRP tray, locate the two holes on the two arms of the tray and use the Ikelite #12 ss screws (or you may find brass at Ace hardware)

Sorry for the short post, connectivity issues.

See photos

Attachments

• DSCN1369.jpg
    DSCN1369.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN1360.jpg
    DSCN1360.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1377.jpg
    DSCN1377.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN1376.jpg
    DSCN1376.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN1374.jpg
    DSCN1374.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1373.jpg
    DSCN1373.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCN1371.jpg
    DSCN1371.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN1370.jpg
    DSCN1370.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 41
Excellent! Many thanks to all for the most helpful input. Everything is now crystal clear (hope water at Komodo likewise)!

My Ikelite tray has a remaining hole, I can affix the GoPro upside down, will get a red filter and be off!

RA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom