Canon G9x with Meikon case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stepfen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello and Merry Christmas!
I'm considering buying the Canon G9X (the older one - not the Mark II) with the Meikon case for my first setup. Total cost is at about 700$ (600 euros) and unfortunately my budget can't go higher than this.

I noticed though that while most (if not all) of the controls of the camera are done through the touch screen (why on earth canon did that???) the Meikon case doesn't provide buttons for the touch screen! Is the camera practically usable like this? Keep in mind that I have quite strong dry-land photography background and I do not want a point and shot setup.

I know that the Fantasea FG9X case for example has 5 buttons on the side of the touch screen with which most settings can be accessed - but unfortunately it's well outside my budget.

I am also open to suggestions for other setups. For example I'm looking at the Olympus TG-5 but the G9X's 1" sensor looks too good to be missed...

Thanks a lot

Look into Sony RX100 II - it also comes with an excellent 1" sensor, but does not rely on a touchscreen. The Meikon housing for it does not have access to the rear dial (you can push all five buttons, but not spin it), but all the other controls are accessible.

Thanks for the quick reply. Coming from a lifelong Canon background I keep forgetting alternatives.

Any particular reason to go for the RX100 II instead of the cheaper RX100 ?
It will cost me 200$ less while the sensor and the lens seem to be the same. Basic differences I can spot are the the tilting screen, the wifi and the external hot-shoe - none of which I personally need.

RX100 II has a BSI CMOS sensor, which provides somewhat better low light performance - since you don't have any room for lighting in your budget, this may come in handy. On the other hand, if downgrading to the original RX100 frees up enough room in your budget for a strobe, this will produce superior results.

RX100 II has a BSI CMOS sensor
Are you sure about this? Sony describes both sensors as: 1.0 in type (13.2 x 8.8 mm) Exmor R® CMOS sensor in their website.
Price permitting a strobe sounds good addition, but I'd rather keep my setup simple to begin with.

Also, another possible option is Sony A5100 with kit lens - cost is similar to early marks of RX100, slightly bulkier, but you step up to an APS-C sensor, and a very good one at that. You lose the mode dial, so you'll have to go into menus to change shooting modes, but on the other hand, with the Meikon housing, you gain full use of the rear dial - still not as good as two dials (aperture+exposure) for fully manual shooting, but very useful when you're in shutter priority or aperture priority modes.

If you are a longtime Canon user, look into something like the G16 & Ikelite TTL case. Nice unit. I love mine. Still Canon, no touchscreen. If you can live with lesser video, you could find used G12 to G15's with Ike cases for a very reasonable price too.

(why does a specific rig question always result in advice to buy some totally different brand thingy?)

(why does a specific rig question always result in advice to buy some totally different brand thingy?)
There are so many good alternatives ...

If you are a longtime Canon user, look into something like the G16 & Ikelite TTL case. Nice unit. I love mine. Still Canon, no touchscreen. If you can live with lesser video, you could find used G12 to G15's with Ike cases for a very reasonable price too.

Ikelite G16 housing is $750 alone, more than OPs budget before you get to the camera.

Because at this specific price point, Canon doesn't really have a compelling offer. G7X is more expensive, S110/S120 have a 1/1.7" sensor, and G9X, while it fits the budget, is touchscreen-centered which makes it difficult to operate underwater.

Back
Top Bottom