Canon HF10/11 vs JVC HD-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ADSFire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been reading a TON of reviews as I'd like to move from U/W photography to videography. I am about to go with Canon but have seen some good packages with JVC and Ikelite housings. Anyone have an comments on experience with JVC and functionality with Ikelite housings?

The JVC's doesn't get the best ratings, I personally don't have to much experience with them, all mine is with Panasonic. What exactly are you looking for? Do you want HD? Do you want HDV, HDD, Memory cards, etc? If your going with Ikelite, keep in mind they use mirrors on there housing so you can see the lcd screen on some of there models not all, and they only have image reversing circuitry for the sony's. Hopefully Robin jumps in on this, she seems to be the Ikelite guru. She could explain a lot more on those housings. But if your looking for HDV, I would say look at the Sony HC-9 or the Canon HV20, If your looking for HDD Sony SR10/11/12 and the Canon HG-20. And with memory cards look at the Canon HF10.

Hope that helps.

Here's what I didn't get about the HD-10. When you look at JVC's product page, they claim 1920x1080 "Full HD". Yet when you read the specifications page it clearly states that it records at 1440x1080. So are they interpolating the output? Or is that just for the HD30/40? Confusing...

Also, it records at a max. of 17MBPS VBR as does the HF10. The HF11 however records at 24MBPS in MXP mode. That is equivalent to HDV's 25MBPS best compression ratio.

There's also 4 new Canon models in the same general pricerange as the HF11. Canon Consumer Camcorders

Here's what I didn't get about the HD-10. When you look at JVC's product page, they claim 1920x1080 "Full HD". Yet when you read the specifications page it clearly states that it records at 1440x1080. So are they interpolating the output? Or is that just for the HD30/40? Confusing...

Also, it records at a max. of 17MBPS VBR as does the HF10. The HF11 however records at 24MBPS in MXP mode. That is equivalent to HDV's 25MBPS best compression ratio.

There's also 4 new Canon models in the same general pricerange as the HF11. Canon Consumer Camcorders

Yes, the HF-S10 ( which I am eagerly waiting for release ) and the HF-S100. There bitrate is the same as HDV. And with the S10 you get the option of an internal 32GB memory and a removable SD memory card. Which is really nice.

I wasen't sure if he had a budget or not, the S10 is gonna be $1300.00

You also have the Sony HDR-XR520V, which Mike at H2O Photo Pros says is another amazing camera. But again another $1300.00 camera.

If you don't mind HDV, and have a budget I would go with the Canon HV20/HV30 or the Sony HC-9. But thats just my 2 cents. You can also go over to Vimeo.com and search for the camera's your thinking about buying and watch some of the video's to get an idea. Just plug in the model number and hit search. Or better yet find a camera shop and ask them to try out the ones your intrested in.

Good Luck hope it all helps. It took me two months to figure out what I wanted. Not to push you away from Ikelite, but be carefull, do not leave there housings in the sun, cover them with a towel or something.

Goodluck

I would not buy a polycarbonate housing. I had 2 for foto cams and one for video. After a while all housings had very fine cracks at the hinge and other areas. I would buy an aluminium housing or maybe carbon fibre.

I have used my original Ikelite housing and DS50 for an old 4MP camera and have about 150 dives on it. My Ikelite hasn't ever failed me, so I was sticking with the brand... Regarding budget, indeed I do have one. While I wanted to start into video, I didn't want to break the bank. My goals are basic: Simple, compact operation to obtain High Def video of my trip to North Sulawesi at the end of April--well and hopefully more trips. Flash memory seemed to be the most compact, light weight etc. I'm not convinced an internal memory is necessary when one can buy large memory cards to cover a full day's diving. While the HF-10 is not the most recent, it seemed the most capable and cost effective for a first set-up. I've been able to find the HF10 for under $400, Ikelite housing is $750. Plus lights, I can get the set-up for < $2200. (Yes, I have always kept my housing out of the sun and covered.) The only drawback I've seen for the Ikelite housing is that the LCD screen can only open about half way. Reviews say you can compose your shot, but you don't get a direct look... I have looked at Vimeo.com and I think the video quality is great for my purposes. I don't think the video's I saw had any lighting and color is everything for the critter behavior I hope to capture.

Not to push you away from Ikelite, but be carefull, do not leave there housings in the sun, cover them with a towel or something.

Goodluck

I'm curious why you say this specifically targeted at Ikelite's housings? I've always thought keeping any housing out of direct sun is a good idea.

Hey Bill. Of course its always a good idea to keep any housing out of the sun for many reasons. The thing to note, that Ed was probably referring to (correct me if Im wrong Ed) is that Ikelite housings being polycarbonate, are very prone to fogging issues, especially when left in the sun to heat up, and then immediately taken into colder water, causing condensation to build up in the housing and on the lens...and from my experiences, it doesnt go away right away, thus potentially causing the shooter to miss a shot.

The rule of thumb I teach all of our customers is to put a towel over ANY system that is sitting outside in the elements in between dives.

I use the HF10, in the Ikelite housing, with two lights. I was going to buy the JVC camera but the reason why I went with the HF10, was that the low light is good, and with the 16gb on board with the 16gb Removable SD card, gives me more then enough space for my videos. I have about 100 dives on this system, and I have not been disappointed with it so far.

If you are diving in cold water, and you let your housing warm up to much you will have a fogging issue. I use a cooler to keep my housing out of the sun and cool, and I certainly have had no problems. With the Wide Angle wet lens, two batteries and both lights, it makes the housing about 8 lbs negative in the water. This causes hand fatigue and if you are not careful the dreaded camera shake. I built a sled for the system, and added some things for buoyancy, and after some hit and miss it is just negative and works very nicely now.

Just some thoughts.

KennyG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom