Canon HF10/11 vs JVC HD-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well folks... I did purchase the HF-10/Ikelite set-up because it was within my budget and used it on my trip to Indonesia. While I did get some fantastic video clips over 54 dives, I also experienced fogging--but just on the lense, not the inside of the entire housing--around the last 15 minutes of many, many dives--despite making sure the driest, coolest air was trapped inside the housing. What I noticed is that lense fogging happened most often when the camera was used more during a dive. When removing the camera from the housing after a "fogged" dive, I noticed the camera heats up significantly the more video I shot on a dive. I'm speculating that a hot camera heats the cool air inside the housing. That air then condenses on the cool lense. I had to shut the camera off between every clip to minimize the operating temperature. While hesitant to mess with the housing lense, I did experiment with using an anti-fogging gel used inside masks and that seemed to help a bit.

I picked up the HF-11 and Ikelite set up. I've only been diving a year now and in the Midwest, so I don't get in the water as much as I would like. I have a couple of questions. 1. Won't the silicate packs for digital camera systems help with the fogging inside the Ikelite housing? 2. I have heard the Ikelite strobes are a little sub-par. Any thoughts on strobes that will fit the Ikelite housing?
BTW, I use the HF-11 all the time and really love the quality of the finished product. I use Pinnacle Studio 12 for editing and after the long learning curve (and a new computer) am happy with the end results. As a new member here on Scubaboard, I am trying to find my way around these forums. Is there a location for editing questions?

Thanks

I did use silicate packs in Indonesia, but still had the fogging issue. I have since had the opportunity to dive again--this time in Cozumel--with the HF-10 and housing. I had no fogging issues at all--even without silicate packs. I think the difference was the quality of air conditioning in the rooms. The A/C in my room in Cozy was far better and the air far drier than on the liveaboard. Therefore, I trapped drier air inside the housing before diving.

Back
Top Bottom