Canon HV30 with Equinox Pro 6 housing Eval.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
I am evaluating an Eqinox Pro 6 housing for a Canon HV30. I am also a fairly esperienced underwater still photographer, but totally new to video.

I only have 24 hours to evaluate this used housing, or return it. The camera arrives tomorrow. Yikes, talk about a time squeeze.

In any event, without having the camera in hand, I am wondering how easy it will be to look through the clear pastic endplate, and actuall see the viewfinder? There is no "super-eye" magnifier similar to what is available fron Ikelite, and there is no way to view the camera monitor.

Is anyone out there using this setup? I would love to compare notes.

Rick Colman

I am evaluating an Eqinox Pro 6 housing for a Canon HV30. I am also a fairly esperienced underwater still photographer, but totally new to video.

I only have 24 hours to evaluate this used housing, or return it. The camera arrives tomorrow. Yikes, talk about a time squeeze.

In any event, without having the camera in hand, I am wondering how easy it will be to look through the clear pastic endplate, and actuall see the viewfinder? There is no "super-eye" magnifier similar to what is available fron Ikelite, and there is no way to view the camera monitor.

Is anyone out there using this setup? I would love to compare notes.

Rick Colman

If there is no magnifier in there you'd have to do like the old days - frame it externally, or add some type of stick-on loupe in there to compensate for lack of a built-in magnifier. That or buy a LCD monitor. I say this because I am looking through a Canon HV 20 right now and trying to imagine your scenario.

X

I have probably about 20 dive videos with my Pro Pak 6. Basic and it meets my needs. I talked to TJ Mansfield, of Equinox Housings in February for an episode of the Underwater Videographer Podcast, but it hasn't made it up yet. However, I could pm you a link for the raw, unedited conversation. TJ and I talk about the development and construction of the housings. This was another in my intended series on housings to help people make educated buying decisions.

I just recieved this setup and have only one dive so far. I am completely new to UV-videography, but my first impression is that the rig is perfectly neutral in the water and is very easy to handle. I have ordered the LCD, but must admit that the wide angle lens included works very good and estimating the shots without looking through the viewfinder (which is impossible anyway), worked better than expected.

Best of luck with your setup!

I am probably going to order an lcd panel from Equinox as well. Which connector did you specify for the HV30?

I got the female RCA, which is the connection to get according to Equinox. When I asked B&H, from whom I ordered the setup, they said the 1/8 mini plug. I think both may actually work, the RCA being what to use on a non-HD TV with the included cables and the 1/8 mini plug may be hooked up directly into the camera (do NOT take my work for it as I'm not sure).

As Equinox does have the camera in the shop for fitting the controls, I went by their advice.

Personally I think those 2.5" LCD's suck. On my equinox setup I did this:

DSCF0387.jpg

And the 5" rocks!

Billy

wow ... super cool! can you provide details on how you did it??

Here's a thread I started with pics from when I began the project back in December.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/214255-new-housing-mods.html

I'm actually thinking of getting a higher resolution screen and making a whole new port. If I do that then this one will probably be up for sale. I just need to find the LCD panel.

Billy

Thats quite impressive. I still do have my original (clean) back port, all I need is to get a C&C Router and start milling.

Or perhaps your taking orders? =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom