Canon Rebel XTI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2addict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I am thinking of going in for a canon 400d (AKA Rebel xti) with ikelite housing etc etc. Can anybody who has used this share some thoughts please? Also looking at the Nikon d80 but it seems a lot more expensive and I particularly like the back screen on the 400d being used to display the camera sttings. this is useful for me because i am slightly long sighted. Also I have a 300d (rebet xt) so I am used to the general logic of the canon.

Biggest concerns currently are the ruggedness of construction and ergonomics of the canon.

thanks

Ajith, I wouldn't worry too much about the ruggedness of 400D. Sure it's not as solid as the 20-40D's or Nikon equivalent but as long as you're not going into warzones or shooting in extreme conditions, you should be fine. But do try to hold it at a shop as the grip is kind of small, especially if you have big hands. I'm not sure how that compares to the 300D (btw, the 350D is the Rebel XT or is that what you have?). You can get used to it or get a battery grip for topside. It's a great little camera. One gripe I have about it is the viewfinder is a wee bit small and dark. If you have a chance, try looking through the 400D viewfinder vs the D80 or even a 20D/30D/40D and you'll see what I mean.

I can't comment on the Ikelites from personal use but there are many here who are fans of their housings and they do have most of the popular lenses covered in terms of ports, domes, focus rings, extensions...

I use an XTi and I think it's great. Though admittedly I'm not expert photog and I've never had the pleasure of using underwater (The Ikelite housing costs more than the camera and I can't afford both right now)...

I don't think there are major changes between the XT and the XTi. The XTi has the 10.1 mp sensor, but it's the same size as the XT so they've just crammed more pixels onto the sensor. This may make the camera less light sensitive and increase over-all noise. I haven't used the XT so I can't say for sure. They've also added the dust reduction system, which is pretty cool, but unless you're changing your lenses a lot on the beach it's probably not a big concern anyway.

I agree with pakman, it's a little tough to hold onto with big hands, though the battery grip does a great job of fixing this problem. I haven't dropped it down the stairs yet but it seems to stand up to being places gently into a camera bag pretty well. :)

This is where it would be really nice to be able to rent the body and the UW housing and try it out... I think a lot of the decision is going to be subjective :)

Thanks guys. I actually managed to lay my hands on a 400d of a friend and what you say about the size is true. Of course since I will be mostly using it inside a casing the size issue does not matter that much.

The issue regarding the small view finder does bother me a little. Alison I wonder whether you find it a problem or does the magnifier on the housing compensate?

Ajith, maybe be I'm being too harsh on the 400D viewfinder. If you don't know better, you'll be happy with it. I've been able to take some decent macro shots with it. But if you look through say a Nikon D80/D200 or a Canon 40D (which I unfortunately did), it's like someone turned on the lights! You can click on my photo links below to see samples of the 400D in a S&S housing and various lenses.

I don't know how the Ikelite viewfinder is, but usually the standard housing viewfinder doesn't magnify, but does the opposite in order for you to see the entire camera viewfinder (or most of it) from your mask. I think the S&S standard viewfinder reduces by a factor of 0.6x or 0.8x.

Having extremely small hands, the 400D fit me topside much better than the 40D, but the viewfinder on the 40D truly is gorgeous (and the autofocusing is an improvement as well). It did give me pause until I held it in the store for awhile and started to get hand fatigue because the grip was too large for me (that's how small my hands are) and was hitting me in a bad spot.

That said, the 400D viewfinder definitely does the job - while the 40D is brighter, I didn't have trouble with it. I even put the "pickup" viewfinder option on my housing/camera, which slightly decreases the image size allowing you to more easily see the corners. I did try the Inon 45 degree magnifying viewfinder option, and while the image was great, I wasn't fond of the 45 degree for the shooting I was doing. When they come out with their straight magnifying viewfinder shortly, will seriously considering adding that.

the other option is to get the new 1DmkIII and use the live preview feature. It's a little more money than the 400D though. :)

Hey thanks guys I was rather busy the last couple of months and couldnt log on to see your responses. I think I wlll go in for the 400d after all but I just want to wait a few months to see whether canon will come out with and upgraded version soon ... maybe with a live view finder !

Having extremely small hands, the 400D fit me topside much better than the 40D, but the viewfinder on the 40D truly is gorgeous (and the autofocusing is an improvement as well). It did give me pause until I held it in the store for awhile and started to get hand fatigue because the grip was too large for me (that's how small my hands are) and was hitting me in a bad spot.

That said, the 400D viewfinder definitely does the job - while the 40D is brighter, I didn't have trouble with it. I even put the "pickup" viewfinder option on my housing/camera, which slightly decreases the image size allowing you to more easily see the corners. I did try the Inon 45 degree magnifying viewfinder option, and while the image was great, I wasn't fond of the 45 degree for the shooting I was doing. When they come out with their straight magnifying viewfinder shortly, will seriously considering adding that.

Ryan had one of the straight view finders at the Florida Dive Show. He had it on the Sea Tool housing. It was nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom