Canon S 30 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geebee

Reaction score
HI All:

I'm not sure if it's ok to post a link to another forum, but here goes.

I've written a review of the Canon S 30 and Canon housing complete with many photos. I worked hard on the review and hope that it answers the questions many have asked about the camera. Short version: thumbs up !

The review is also a bit of a trip report of a week on the Caribbean Explorer.

Check it out at: <http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=465>

Gerry

PS. The link above is to the second part of my review. Part 1 is more of a trip report on the Caribbean Explorer and less camera review. It has lots of topside shots. You can reach that from the report above, or click on this link: <http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1556>

Liked the camera report and you've got some great pictures to go with it. Impressed with the Turtle shot...... Night with no strobe, was it set on Auto or Manual??
I've just bought the A40 and will be picking up the housing this week. You said that there was one function that ws not available when in the housing, but didn;t say which it was?
Were the functions easy to change whilst in the housing (i.e. switch from auto/Programme to movie? and changing shutter speeds etc... I know the layout of the S30 is different, but I imagine functionality would be the same.

Thanks

Ad

HI ADTravels:

The turtle and all other shots were taken with the built in flash.

My settings were always on manual shutter priority (called Tv by Canon). The rest of the settings are in the report.

The only function not usable is the multicontroller up/down. But remember the A40 is VERY different than the S30. A completely different body design. All other controls were very easy to use with the case. Actually, in some ways easier!

However, UW you want to keep it simple. I would generally set everything topside. UW, I would turn off display when not shooting, and turn Macro on/off.

Good Luck

GB

Good report. I had decided on the S30, but now I can't wait. Maybe I can find a steal on ebay. Cool photo of that flounder on the bottom.

Good job on the review and great pics. I just got an S40 with the same housing and I love it. You should also note that camera takes fantastic shots on land as well and is a convenient size/shape for carrying around during a vacation topside. Thanks!

Originally posted by ucladiver
[ the same housing and I love it. You should also note that camera takes fantastic shots on land as well and is a convenient

Hi UCLA:

You are absolutely correct. I used this camera a lot topside before I ever took it UW. LOVE it !

The link I put here was actually to the second half of my report.
I don't know if you saw the first half of the review, but Part 1 was more of a trip report on the CEX. In it are many topside shots including a night shot with no flash, and several panoramas.

There's a link to it at the bottom of Part 2 or you can get there by clicking here: <http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1556>

GB

Hello Geebee,

you have got a great review on the S30!

I was wondering if i should get that cam,and had seek advice from others whom are supposed to have more experience with u/w photography.

One of the feedback i get is "slide to on" cameras is not a wise choice. Is that true?

Will this S30 auto-power off if i dont press any buttons for some time?

I also understand that it kinda fogs easily.......what do you normally do to combat that?

Geeze......asked many questions i guessed.....appreciate your help.....

TigerShark once bubbled...
Hello Geebee,

>>you have got a great review on the S30!

Thank you very much!

>>I was wondering if i should get that cam,

As you can tell, I'm very pleased with it. I've now had it a year now and still love it. Besides being a great topside pocket camera, you CANNOT beat the price of the UW housing. While I also like Nikon and Olympus products, I don't think they make an inexpensive housing good to 100'. I believe an aftermarket housing for them is $400-$800 alone.

>>One of the feedback i get is "slide to on" cameras is not a wise >>choice. Is that true?

I've had no problem with the slide on cover. I like a camera that does not need a case to protect the lens and will fit in your shirt pocket easily.

>>Will this S30 auto-power off if i dont press any buttons for >>some time?

Yes. You can even customize that feature as well as many other features. One fun freature is changing the sounds. When my self timer is about to trip, a dog howls! It gets a whole group really smiling.

>>I also understand that it kinda fogs easily.......what do you >>normally do to combat that?

Of course it only fogs underwater. They give you antifog with the UW case. I have not used it though and it fogged a couple of times. It fogs because of the slight heat from the LCD screen. By keeping the screen off between shots, fog is almost eliminated. You can also put a couple of silica gel packs in the case.

BTW, check out Canon's UW photo tip web site:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/page/top-e.html

It has lot's of great info.

And I have a new trip report up with S30 photos from a dive in the giant tank at the Aquarium! Check it out at :

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1818

GB

geebee once bubbled...
HI ADTravels:
The only function not usable is the multicontroller up/down. But remember the A40 is VERY different than the S30. A completely different body design. All other controls were very easy to use with the case. Actually, in some ways easier!
GB
Actually the S30 and S40 are in identical bodies. Look at the link posted below. All buttons are in the same location. Only difference is the ISO rating (S30 is better) and the S40 has the greater MP rating. Oh yea the S40 has a darker color.
Check out the side by side pics of them below.S40 and S30 comparison

AzSnake once bubbled...

Actually the S30 and S40 are in identical bodies. Look at the link posted below. All buttons are in the same location. Only difference is the ISO rating (S30 is better) and the S40 has the greater MP rating. Oh yea the S40 has a darker color.
Check out the side by side pics of them below.S40 and S30 comparison

AzSnake, GB was comparing the 2MP A40 to the S30. They are not similar and they do not share the same body like S30 and the 4MP S40 do. I'm sure you knew that, and just mis-read the post. :)

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom