Canon S120 with Sea & Sea YS-D1 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kesh68

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings! I just bought the Canon S120 with Ikelite housing and the Sea & Sea Ys-D1 strobe, they are connected by fiber optic cable. The salesman told me to set the YS-D1 at the manual mode (single lightning bolt logo) and the S120 in Manual mode as well.

Since I'm a beginner to underwater photography, can I use TTL mode on the YS-D1 and the P, A or underwater scene mode on the S120?

Which mode/settings on the strobe and camera should I use to get best results for a beginner.

Thanks!

Hi, I used to have the Canon G9, G10, S90 worked with the YS-110a. On the camera, set the strobe power to minimal (-2), any Auto, P, A, S, M, C will do. On the strobe, I set to slave, TTL, Full power for fully automatic. Any non-full power setting on strobe will put the strobe to manual. Also, on camera, any flash power different than -2 does not drive the TTL. I came to this conclusion by testing hundreds of setting combinations in a dark room. I was a beginner at the time so fully automatic lighting was important. It still is but I do switch to manual when, in rare case, the auto strobe failed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Greetings! I just bought the Canon S120 with Ikelite housing and the Sea & Sea Ys-D1 strobe, they are connected by fiber optic cable. The salesman told me to set the YS-D1 at the manual mode (single lightning bolt logo) and the S120 in Manual mode as well.

Since I'm a beginner to underwater photography, can I use TTL mode on the YS-D1 and the P, A or underwater scene mode on the S120?

Which mode/settings on the strobe and camera should I use to get best results for a beginner.

Thanks!

Set the camera in P,Tv or Av with flash in automatic mode red eye OFF flash set to forced ON and the YS-D1 in TTL mode with power dial at full

This will make the strobe work in STTL

If you put the camera in manual mode and manual flash STTL on the YS-D1 will not work and you will need to set it at no preflash as the sales guy said

There is a CHDK script that I wrote that makes the canon work in TTL also in manual mode

Back
Top Bottom