canon s30 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cando

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just purchased a canon s30 and housing but i wonder if anyone can tell me where to get additional o-rings and grease for the housing

Also what size silica gel packs will fit (and where can i get those?)

Thanks

Cando once bubbled...
Hey guys

Just purchased a canon s30 and housing but i wonder if anyone can tell me where to get additional o-rings and grease for the housing

Hmm... Canon may sell those. Check their website. I know they sell their housings on the website, it's possible they sell o-rings and silicone grease as well

Also what size silica gel packs will fit (and where can i get those?)

Best place to get the silica gel packs that I found is shoe stores. Go in and ask the clerk if they have some to share. 9 times out of 10 they'll let you grab whatever you need. Those packs tend to be small enough to fit. Granted, my housing is an Ikelite and not an OEM Canon, but you may still have enough room left in there. Hope this helps.

-Roman.

Spare O rings from Canon, call 732-521-7230. I just got one myself, they are $13 plus $5 shipping.

BTW, did you know that Canon has a great web site for UW photography? Good info for anyone, but especially for us Canon users: http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/page/top-e.html

Congrats on your new camera. I love mine. If you'd like to see some samples and get some tips, I posted a gear review of the camera at: http://www.scubadiving.com/members/gearreviews.php?s=465

GB

Hey guys,

i just bought a canon S30 too.Having fun with it !!! Still experimenting.......yet to get the housing.

One thing i realise though is that the camera gets quite hot during usage.Does it cause fogging problems when used underwater? If so,what do you guys normally do?Use a defogger?

And oh....where do you put the silica gel packs?

Thanks!

I see a bunch of you have bought the S30, I'm looking for some biased opinion. I'm trying to choose between the S200 and the S30. What made you choose the S30 over the S200? As a major amateur, will I notic the difference in the water?

TigerShark once bubbled...
Hey guys,

i just bought a canon S30 too.Having fun with it !!! Still experimenting.......yet to get the housing.

One thing i realise though is that the camera gets quite hot during usage.Does it cause fogging problems when used underwater? If so,what do you guys normally do?Use a defogger?

And oh....where do you put the silica gel packs?

Thanks!

Fogging is caused by temperature differences inside and outside the housing. If your camera produces alot of heat, you can turn it off between shots. Having to power up repeatedly will probably use more battery power but it's a possibility.

You can get silica packets that are .5" by 1.5" that will fit in the nooks and crannies around your camera. Just make sure it can't work it's way to the lens and block it.

I don't really know anything specific about your Canon.

Hi Dee,

thanks for your advice.

Got some info from the canon website you posted...really helpful.

Hi j-valve,

two obvious differences would be the mega pixels and zoom capability.I was actually trying to decide between S30 and S45 then but decided 3.2 mega pixels is enough for me. And having seen some pictures taken with S30 underwater and on land,you can say i'm pretty satisfied with it.

Canon actually had a spare parts department and is shipping me an extra o-ring and grease!

As for the silica gel....ive had no luck yet. Everywhere I look online its big companies who are selling gel packs in bulk (like in the thousands). E-bay wasnt too helpful either as all the packs there are way too big.

Soooo....just curious about where you guys get your silica gel packs from??

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom