Canon S50 flash questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tkojis

Registered
Reaction score
Hello.. I recently purchased a sea and sea ys 90dx strobe for my s 50 and its bubble housing. I need to know about setting the pre flash cancelation. Does the s 50 have a pre flash or not?..Canon says no...other posters on this board say yes. Does anyone have the DEFINITIVE answer? .....Also, is anyone willing to share experiances they have had as far as what camera settings seem to work the best for them. Thanks for any help you can give.

Easy to find out. With the camera on 'P' and 'Flash Adjust' on 'Auto' take a picture while keeping an eye on the flash (not directly at it) - if it fires a pre-flash then you will see it go off more than once, usually a small 'blip' then the main (longer) flash.
According to their website and their explaination of the 'Flash Adjust' menu it seems it does use pre-flash:
When [Flash Adjust] is set to [Manual], the flash output can be controlled in three steps, starting from FULL, when shooting. This setting is also active with slave flash photography where multiple flashes are fired at the subject from different positions because the pre-flash does not fire.
From that explanation it's clear that you can set the camera's flash to not fire a pre-flash by setting the 'Flash Adjust' to 'Manual'. Then select the lowest output that will trigger the YS90DX to save batteries. And set the YS90DX to 'On' (and not 'Pre').

Thank you for the excellent information. Another question....Since the flash adjustment doesnt work in all the modes...does it matter,performancewise on the strobe if it is in pre flash cancellation mode or "on"? You can still turn the flash intensity down when the flash adjust is in auto to save on battery power. Is there an advantage to having on "on" vs. "pre" other than power savings?.......Thanks again!

So, does the S50 fire a pre-flash when the 'Flash Adjust' is set to 'Auto' - can you confirm that for the benefit of everyone?

I think the 'Flash Adjust' can only be set to 'Manual' in A, S and M mode, in fact I think it can only be used in 'Manual' in M mode.
If you use the camera with the 'Flash Adjust' set to 'Auto' ie it fires a pre-flash and don't have pre-flash cancellation set on the YS90DX then the YS90DX will try and fire twice at the output setting you've selected on the strobe. Depending on the output setting it may or may not be able to dump the desired setting on the second flash and underexpose your picture.
Dialing the flash exposure comp. to min. is a good idea to reduce battery usage. Using the lowest output on the camera also allows your camera to be ready for the next shot quicker. With fast strobes like the Ikelite DS-125 and the Inon Z220 this feature is very useful. For example, on the C5050, with the flash set to 'Slave', level 1 (which is similar to 'Flash Adjust' set to 'Manual', lowest level) and the DS125 you can shoot at a frame-a-second with the strobe.

I just ran through the modes on my S50. The only modes which allow you to set Flash Priority to Manual are Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual. The other modes don't have Flash Priority in their menus at all. If Flash Priority is Auto, or in any of the other modes, you get the pre-flash and main flash. If Flash Priority is Manual, you get only a single flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom