Canon S50 or Oly C4000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebbdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Both of these cameras are in the same price range. I believe that the Oly has a better lens system, but the Canon has higher resolution (5mp). Which one would you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

You can do a side-by-side comparison of features at Digital Photography Review: www.dpreview.com . Go to: buying guide>side-by-side.

Each camera has reviews from active users. I have a Canon S50 and am quite pleased with it's results on land and underwater. I would purchase the camera again. The capabilities of the camera and it's size were key to my selection; however, they may not be the same for you.

Some quick things I noticed:
1. On reviewing the stats of the Oly, it appears to have a better lens and macro capability; however, my macros came out well with the S50.
2. The Oly uses AA's. Canon a rechargeable battery.
3. The Canon is smaller.
4. You are limited to only one housing for the Canon, the Oly probably has more options.

Take a look at the cost of extras as well as the capabilities of the camera: strobe and housing.

Good luck.

Just a little about the C4000 as that it what I am using:
First off be sure you can find an Oly PT-010 housing for it before you buy the camera. The housings are out of production.

If you are primarily using it for underwater I suggest you buy a factory refurb with a 90 day warranty. I just picked one up for $239. as I flooded my housing and toasted the camera. It was my fault but the $239. for the replacement didn't kill me. There are plenty of these cameras around. They are a streamlined version of the C4040, which is no longer available.

The C4000 has Super Macro but w/o the use of the internal flash as the flash is too close to the lens. Same is true for most models.

The Oly cameras have a powerful built in flash. That coupled with the flash diffuser on the Oly housing will allow you to take good pics w/o an external strobe.

Be sure you still have easy access to Smart Media Cards as that is the format the Oly C4000 uses. 128MB is the max on those. A 16MB one comes with the camera. The 128MB will give you about 48 pics on the SHQ setting, which is what I use for underwater.

If you can spend the money find an Oly 5050 refurb and an Oly PT-015 housing. That camera has a slave mode which allows for the use of an external strobe w/o firing the internal strobe. That allows for a strobe on Super Macro. There are more features on the 5050, if that matters to you.

I would go with the S50.. it takes great pictures both above and below the water. The camera is also very small which is the reason I prefer it over the other cameras, the housing is very compact and it isn't too bulky while you're trying to enjoy your dive.

Amazon and buy.com have it for $399.00 with free shipping, the UW housing is $169.00.

Back
Top Bottom