Canon S70 - A620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr:
The flash diffuser on the wp-dc90 is attached to the lens port but can be removed.

midwestdvr
I hope so. Mine is "out for delivery" today, or so says the UPS web page. :D I will report back when I get it....

I have just spent 2 hours playing with the new housing for my new a610. I like it. The diffuser plate is only a piece of plastic that pops on to the front lense, thus I used the term "plate." Questions have been raised as to wether or not the dome port extending farther than other models (it extends farther than my old a80 housing by about 2 inches) will cause a shadow to appear in the photo.

The answer is yes, if you take the diffuser plate off. No shadowing occurs with the plate on when using the flash. No shadowing occurs with the plate on or off when not using a flash. In otherwords, flash use equals using the diffuser plate or you will have a BIG shadow creeping into the bottom right of your picture. One other issue with the diffuser plate being attached to the front of the dome port is that it may get in the way of 3rd party attachements on the front. Other than that, it's nice. It also comes with an LCD cover. Enjoy!

scubadobadoo:
I have just spent 2 hours playing with the new housing for my new a610. I like it. The diffuser plate is only a piece of plastic that pops on to the front lense, thus I used the term "plate." Questions have been raised as to wether or not the dome port extending farther than other models (it extends farther than my old a80 housing by about 2 inches) will cause a shadow to appear in the photo.

The answer is yes, if you take the diffuser plate off. No shadowing occurs with the plate on when using the flash. No shadowing occurs with the plate on or off when not using a flash. In otherwords, flash use equals using the diffuser plate or you will have a BIG shadow creeping into the bottom right of your picture. One other issue with the diffuser plate being attached to the front of the dome port is that it may get in the way of 3rd party attachements on the front. Other than that, it's nice. It also comes with an LCD cover. Enjoy!

Thnx for the info! Makes me feel more comfy. Yesterday i went to the store to arrange a deal. There was a guy looking for an S70 with a housing... so i'll be selling it to him today. For less then that price i can get the a620 with housing. I only have to wait for the housing for an extra 10 days. :( It has been bad weather here for the past week, the rain season is starting. So i guess this weekend there will be a pretty rough sea again. Maybe time to work on the house a bit instead of diving :) naaa

Can I ask where you guys got your housing for the A620? I'm looking for one for the A610 I just bought, but nobody seems to have it in stock. I want to get it before I leave for Thailand Nov 9th.

I've also been going back and forth between the S60 or 70 and the A610. I've never used RAW before, so don't really understand how important it is. I'm also not sure how important the wide angle lens of the S60 is for UW. For those of you with experience, how much of a difference is the 28mm vs 35mm? I do know the importance of speed in the A610. I'm inclined to stick with the A610, but if I can't find a housing soon, I may have to exchange for an S series.

Any advice?

jklassy:
Can I ask where you guys got your housing for the A620? I'm looking for one for the A610 I just bought, but nobody seems to have it in stock. I want to get it before I leave for Thailand Nov 9th.

I've also been going back and forth between the S60 or 70 and the A610. I've never used RAW before, so don't really understand how important it is. I'm also not sure how important the wide angle lens of the S60 is for UW. For those of you with experience, how much of a difference is the 28mm vs 35mm? I do know the importance of speed in the A610. I'm inclined to stick with the A610, but if I can't find a housing soon, I may have to exchange for an S series.

Any advice?
Ebay. Hobby Monster has them. Very quick service.

I saw that. Do I need to be concerned that they're not used or refurbished (although I realize they really haven't been out long enough to be too used)? Is Hobby Monster a reputable vendor?

jklassy:
I saw that. Do I need to be concerned that they're not used or refurbished (although I realize they really haven't been out long enough to be too used)? Is Hobby Monster a reputable vendor?

Got mine brand spanking new in the box. Quick delivery. I was happy with them.

midwestdvr

Hi. I was wondering if any of you with an A620 have compared its video quality to that of the Sony W5 or W7? I'm thinking of buying an A620 but just wanted to make sure if its 30 fps in 640 X 480 res would be as sharp as that of a Sony.

A couple of my dive friends have the W5 and another has an Ixus 700 and the sony just blows away the Ixus when it comes to video. Any comments?

marcc:
Hi. I was wondering if any of you with an A620 have compared its video quality to that of the Sony W5 or W7? I'm thinking of buying an A620 but just wanted to make sure if its 30 fps in 640 X 480 res would be as sharp as that of a Sony.

A couple of my dive friends have the W5 and another has an Ixus 700 and the sony just blows away the Ixus when it comes to video. Any comments?

The quality of the movies is fantastic according to me. I picked up the camera last saturday. Tested it this weekend. The movies are a pleasure to look at... the only downside is that 2 minutes of filming with sound takes up 130 MB of space :D

I'm still waiting for the housing. You should have heard me cursing underwater yesterday when i bumped in to 2 seahorses and a nice spotted eagle ray without a camera :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom