Canon S70 - A620

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The reason I started this thread was because i was doubting which camera to buy. I tested the S70 and was happy with it. When i noticed the specs of the A620 i started doubting. The only advantage the S70 had vs the A620 for underwater use was the RAW capability and the 28 mm WAL instead of the 35 mm ... construction is also better on the S70 but you won't notice that underwater since you''ll be sticking it in a nice plastic box to keep it from getting wet.

I've been photographing top side for a while now i've learned that RAW can have its advantages ...BUT!... there are more important things then RAW.

RAW is how the image is stored but what's more important is how the image was captured. You can only store what you capture. Noise due to higher ISO values will still be there, blur due to slower shutters will still be there, the image will still be out of focus when the focussing was off, you can't store bright colors if you can not capture them.

This is where the A620 seems to have the advantage. Due to the digicII processor it's noise levels are lower (not so much since i'm mostly shooting at ISO 100 ... enough light here in Curacao :) ) , it focusses faster and easier in low light and it's colour sensitivity seems a little bit better. Overall i'm getting more good shots with the A620 because of this.

If for instance a shark should pop up and i would only manage to make a bad or under exposed picture of it having it in RAW would certainly give a better result after photo editing ... but it would still not be such a great picture.

I tried overdoing level / contrast on the A620's jpeg images and i notice little to no JPEG artifacts. A simple "auto levels" brings back colors i didn't know where even there. The color sensitivity of the A620 seems to be pretty good. I'm overall very happy with the results of the DIGICII processor. I was pretty convident since the 20D I use topside is also using a DIGICII.

The movie mode is great on the A620. The S70 didn't seem to adjust lighting , or not fast enough, if you would go from a dark to a bright area. The movie would then be overexposed. The A620 seems to do a better job at this.

Both the S70 and the A620 are great cameras but for me the advantages of the DIGIC II outweigh the RAW capabilities of the S70 under water.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy shooting to all of you!

Halthron:
Those were some nice pics, better than I've been able to produce with my 620. Just need to practice more :wink:

Hi Halthron,

as they say..practice makes perfect!...dive safely:05:

midwestdvr:
those are pretty good pics. I too love my a620. I envy you since you'll have more opportunity to use it more than I do :crying2: .

Hi midwestdvr,

thanks for the compli...hey when you decide to dive in the Philippines,let me know there's this place, Anilao, Batangas....just 2 hours away from Manila.

i hope you do find time to use your A620.:05:

Pinay_Diver:
Hi midwestdvr,

thanks for the compli...hey when you decide to dive in the Philippines,let me know there's this place, Anilao, Batangas....just 2 hours away from Manila.

i hope you do find time to use your A620.:05:

That's so nice. Nothing like living in a place where you just hop in a car to go diving. I loved that about Florida when I was working there. Now, I gotta go to northern cali and I heard the water there is coooold :crying2:

Last weekend i finally took my a620 down for a second dive after some stormy weekends.
I wanted to try some macro shots. I made some in shallow water at about 6 meters. The sea was still not calm so it was rather difficult keeping still because you could feel the motion of the waves swinging you back and forth a bit. Fixing the focus and then waiting for your hand to be in the same position again seemed to be the easiest way to get a good focus.

Overall i'm happy with some shots and with the a620! :D :07:

Just 2 examples. The second one is a 60 % crop of the original because there were to many white parts on the top part of the picture attracting to much attention. The first one had simple auto levels in PS. I resized both here in the office using MSPaint since nothing else was available :11:

Picture1

Picture2

Great pics Sjokkel,
I prefer the uncropped version (picture 1) but that's probably because i'm partial to Christmas tree worms :D.

Jamdiver:
Great pics Sjokkel,
I prefer the uncropped version (picture 1) but that's probably because i'm partial to Christmas tree worms :D.

LOL, thnx.... they don't bite ... do they ? :D

I just received my canon A620 (in large part due to the advice here) I am thinking of getting a 150x 2 gig card so I will be sure to have enough memory to take video. Is this reasonable?

nisswavic:
I just received my canon A620 (in large part due to the advice here) I am thinking of getting a 150x 2 gig card so I will be sure to have enough memory to take video. Is this reasonable?

2 gig I think is a good size. I took a 1 gig card with me and with video, it filled up pretty fast. Good thing I brought my laptop with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom