Canon S90 Pool Learning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhaas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Amigos,

Check out last Saturday's pool party pics below.

The Ikelite ULTRAcompact housing the guy is holding is what I used with my Canon S90 P&S (point and shoot) camera.

I also had my Ikelite W20 wide angle lens on with lighting from a single Ikelite AF35 strobe you see him holding in a couple of the pics.

I now leave the W20 on even when zooming for tight shots. Don't know why but having the Ikelite W20 underwater lens in front of the Canon S90 makes everything look sharper underwater.........Pretty darn amazing!!!

For little teeny macro creatures I still advise taking any WA lens off. Then zoom in a bit after hitting the Macro "Flower" icon present on all digital cameras.

We love practicing in this pool because it has high windows letting in light depending on the time of day (we were in from 4-6 p.m)

Last shot is me fooling around with a GREEN stingray

LOL.........

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_4748.jpg
    IMG_4748.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4753.jpg
    IMG_4753.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4756.jpg
    IMG_4756.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4759.jpg
    IMG_4759.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4761.jpg
    IMG_4761.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4779.jpg
    IMG_4779.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4770.jpg
    IMG_4770.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4763.jpg
    IMG_4763.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4780.jpg
    IMG_4780.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4792.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4782.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4804.jpg
    IMG_4804.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4813.jpg
    IMG_4813.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 86
Pools are good practice, unfortunately, the Y that I swim at has the pool down in the basement so it is pretty dark and gloomy. I think the natural sunlight you are getting there makes the colors pop more.

I just placed an order for the Fisheye UWL-04 so when it arrives I intend to do a pool shoot out between it and the Inon UWL100 with dome and the Inon UFL165AD vs the Fisheye UWL-04. Should be interesting. I want to shoot some targets or patterns so as to determine some baseline IQ as well as FOV and DOF.

N

Last edited:
Nemrod,

Yep, I likely have logged more pool time over the years than many of my UW photography friends.

I try and dedicate pool time to refining settings, strobe aiming and such.

You're also right also about a better environment. There is enough light in this pool to look more natural (more like an outside pool) and yet not be so bright you can't see your LCD. Although the colors you see in my photos are from my Ikelite AF35 strobe, not natural light as this pool is 14' deep!

Another dirty little secret I've learned.........Hardly changing f-stops on the little sensor Canon S90. Unless I'm shooting super close MACRO I leave the darn thing on f6.3 or so.

Little sensor cameras especially don't show much DOF (depth of field) difference so setting one f-stop and varying lighting is one less parameter to screw around with IMHO.

In Av mode the S90 will vary my shutter speed between a low of 1/60 and increase in bright conditions all the way to 1/500 to not overexpose the background light.

At least that's the specification for flash fill shooting but I've only seen 1/160 or so in real world use.

I shot that way towards the end of my recent Bonaire trip and the results were better with less hassle screwing around with settings.

Finally, even though I liked the INON UFL-165 AD lens if I were to buy something different than my Ikelite W20 it would be the FISHEYE UWL-04. Newer design and is even a bit less $$$$ from Ryan at Reef Photo.

YMMV :)

dhaas

Attachments

• IMG_4451.jpg
    IMG_4451.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 51
Finally, even though I liked the INON UFL-165 AD lens if I were to buy something different than my Ikelite W20 it would be the FISHEYE UWL-04. Newer design and is even a bit less $$$$ from Ryan at Reef Photo.

YMMV :)

dhaas

Well, we shall see, that is why I just bought one, when I get it I intend to do a comparison, back to back to end all of the guestimation, anecdotal here-say and other indirect comparisons.

The Fisheye website only claims a 130 degree FOV for the lens, several photos posted by Pufferfish were not impressive nor particularly wide and then others have posted photos with good results and certainly look wide, which is the thing, I intend to actually measure the FOV shooting the same target and the same distance with the same rig on the same day to end all of the guessing and may the better lens win the day, whichever one that is.

As well, I will be able to do direct comparisons with each lens for IQ and compare the amount of zooming required with the S90 to achieve a "no vignette" photo.

We have all talked a lot but I am just now going to get all three lenses in the water with a ruler and any suggestions others have to increase the usefulness of this project are welcomed.

My preliminary bet, the Inon UWL100 plus dome will be the winner, no, not the widest but sharper, better color, less flare prone and the same FOV as the Fisheye product but twice the price. My other belief is that the 165AD will be widest. I am seeing some coke bottle effect in some of the UWL-04 photos recently posted, so again, I want to shoot these lenses together to see what is real and what is true and what is not.

N

Just purchased a S90 and awaiting delivery of Ikelite housing for it. I have 2 x YS110 strobes with fibre optic cables. Does anyone have a good solid way of connecting them to the housing?

My previous Oly was able to have holes drilled in the flash difuser, but am I right that the Ike doesn't have one?

SY

Can you tell me where did you get these pool toys, I can't seem to find ones that sink

Nemrod be sure to post your results if you will. I have been using the inon glass for awhile and been really happy with the quality will be interesting to see.

Nemrod be sure to post your results if you will. I have been using the inon glass for awhile and been really happy with the quality will be interesting to see.

Oh, I intend to, though, I am sure it will be ignored when/if the results do not fit into the universe of preconceived notions. I will do my best to make it fair and useful. When it happens I will put the results up on the forum in the link in my signature. It will be a while yet, the lens is back ordered, I have a lot of stuff at work and prepping for a trip and some other things going on like a triathlon I am training for--again---yuk. But, yes, I fully intend to put up results, sample photos etc.

N

Oh, I intend to, though, I am sure it will be ignored when/if the results do not fit into the universe of preconceived notions. I will do my best to make it fair and useful. When it happens I will put the results up on the forum in the link in my signature. It will be a while yet, the lens is back ordered, I have a lot of stuff at work and prepping for a trip and some other things going on like a triathlon I am training for--again---yuk. But, yes, I fully intend to put up results, sample photos etc.

N

Although you maybe right on the preconceived notions hopefully people will put stock in a fellow diver/photographers results that has no stake in the sales of said lenses. And if no one else has said it thanks for putting in the time and sharing your results of the different ways to set up the system and make them work. It helps the rest of us looking to upgrade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom