Canon S90 Underwater Housing recommendation/Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N........

In principle I am also not willing to compromise......

My Darling Bride convinced me that the Ike would be the wisest option for me.......:D

She is a very wise, beautiful and intelligent woman and the dog house is cold and lonely place to sleep....

But I really do like the Ike housing..........and I did get the WA lens with it.......

Now I am looking at Macro lenses......:eyebrow:

M

Wow, thanks for all the insight everyone. Looks like I might need to hold off on this purchase. It seems a little more involved and expensive than I had hoped. I thought I could get away with picking up a cheap housing unit and be all set to go. While I still could, it sounds like it will result in a flooded/broken camera or poor quality pictures. Neither of which I am aiming for.

After I do a little more research and find some expendable cash (don't hold your breath) I will re-visit the investment. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
MT

I don't think you'll go wrong with the Canon housing, I'm happy with mine, I've only had it in the water a couple of times but I had an A610 with a Canon housing for 4-5 years - never had a leak, never had any problems never took particular care of it either (some pictures at Tony's Stag Week in Sharm).

Maybe it's not as good as the Ikelite housing, but there are people on this forum who aren't happy with that either. It's certainly not as good as the Fix housing, but that's not available here and is well out of my price range.

Underwater photography is an expensive business (even more so in the UK) and the opportunities to use my camera here are less. I think it's a lot like the rest of scuba - there's no substitute to just doing it - whatever you get, after a while you'll want something new/better/different - you won't know what it is until you have a bit more personal experience.

I'm starting to think about getting a strobe and wide angle lens, I think I've got to the stage where I can benefit from using them, I certainly wouldn't have when I started out. I see from your profile that you are just starting out diving, it can take a while to get the hang of underwater photography - getting buoyancy/trim right when your concentrating on something else, working the controls with gloves on, etc. I would recommend getting a setup that doesn't cost too much, but is upgradable and adding to it as you gain in experience and confidence.

Neil

I have never had a problem with the Canon housing for my G10. Another way to look at it is that you could buy the cheaper housing, get it in the water, and IF you are really enjoying U/W photography, upgrade later. Of course, if you do that, the cost of the cheaper housing could have gone toward the more expensive one. There is no easy answer, but lots of acceptable solutiions.

All,

Thanks for the insight. I just purchased the Ikelite Underwater Camera Housing for Canon Powershot S90 Digital Camera and Ikelite Tray & Dual Handle Asssembly for Digital Camera Housings and Strobes. On the advice of one reply I figured I would start with this and see how I like underwater photography. I figure that without a strobe I could at least take pictures during tropical dives closer to the surface.

If I do enjoy UW and want to invest further does anyone have recommendations on what other purchases would help. I am guessing a strobe would be a place to start.

Thanks for the insight and good diving,
MT

Congrats.......

You have a housing that can grow with you.........

Add the strobes and lenses as your budget allows.......

Be sure to post pics, also SB is a great source for tips on everything from composition to camera settings.......

M

I am looking to get an Inon S2000 strobe for my ikelite housing for Canon S90. DiverVision sells an: "INON S-2000 Strobe and Ikelite Release Handle & Tray for Ikelite Digital Housings." for $550.

INON D-2000 Strobe and Ikelite Release Handle & Tray for Ikelite Digital Housings #PG-D2K-IKE-1

Does anyone know if DiverVision is reputable and if I will need any additional sync cords or if I purchased this strobe I could start taking photos without additional cords?

Thanks,
MT

The Inon D2000 needs an optical syn cord for best operation IMO.

The Ikelite tray will work, you also need two butter fly clamps, at least one six to eight inch arm and the one inch ball end for the strobe. If you choose to shoot with two arm segements then you will need three butterfly clamps.

You will also need some means of attaching the Inon optical sync cord to the Ikelite housing. You are own your own there.

I believe that Divervision is reputable, I have bought a few items from them and they were responsive and easy to communicate with, beyond that I cannot say.

N

Back
Top Bottom