Canon S95 Red filter w/ Inon Wide Angle Lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveExplorer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I own Canon S95 and I use Inon Wide Angle lens with it. I use it to photograph and taking underwater videos. The sea is very green and the pictures/video become quite greenish.

I can of course use the underwater settings on S95. But I was hoping to get some opinions from those who own and use the same or similiar setup.

What can you tell me. Would it be better to use good red filter on the lens or is the underwater settings on s95 good enough ?

I own Canon S95 and I use Inon Wide Angle lens with it. I use it to photograph and taking underwater videos. The sea is very green and the pictures/video become quite greenish.

I can of course use the underwater settings on S95. But I was hoping to get some opinions from those who own and use the same or similiar setup.

What can you tell me. Would it be better to use good red filter on the lens or is the underwater settings on s95 good enough ?

I also have an S95. Suggest you shoot in RAW with the white balance set on Auto and then adjust the colour with Lightroom or Photoshop or similar post processing software

Thanks for the input.

So you would say that red filter should be of none use, it should be better just to adjust the pictures in software later on.

I've found the underwater setting of my S90 to be quite good. However, normally I shoot in blue water, not green. For pictures, I shoot in JPEG+RAW and use the underwater white balance setting. With this, I have the option of manually adjusting the WB later on in case the UW preset didn't do its job correctly, which only rarely happens. It also has the advantage of automatically applying the UW WB setting when you start recording video, which works very well. But again, results might be different in green water.

Hi,
I use a red filter with an Inon wide angle lens and since then have much better results after WB reprocessing. There is a huge difference w/o redfiltet even when you apply UW white balancing. The color contrast won't be that stellar w/o red filter. Disadvantage is you can shoot only under ambient light condition which might be fine to 35 m depending where/ when you dive.

Regards
Alex@nder

Thank you for this info Alexander,,, this is good to know.. Then it´s a sure thing to get me a red filter for my wide angle lens. Where did you get yours ?

For green water you may want to consider a 'magenta' colour filter as opposed to 'red'. Using any filter reduces your ambient light so you may need to increase ISO or just stay shallower... which is never a bad idea either.

RAW and correcting White Balance in post editing does wonders- it is fairly limited for JPEG shots.

Also you can manually white balance the camera underwater using a white slate (I assume in Iceland you will not want to use your bare hands...) You may need to practice this a bit especially if using heavy gloves. My PATIMA housing has small buttons and it wouldn't be suitable for cold water gloves.

The 'underwater mode' for the S95 works but... IMO it's better to do it manually. I love my S95!

Hi,

You can get a variety of 100 mm diameter filters at divervision. I would recommend to use the version with an O ring which is just stacked on the lens. The fine threaded screw version is a bit less flexible for changing. Google divervision. They ship with DHL globally. Ask for Sandy for help.
Cheers

Regards
Alex@nder

Nice input,,, yes I have contacted Divervision and they told me about this filter for my lens: Deeproof Red Color Correction Filter for INON UWL-H100 Lens
But the problem is that it is unusable if the hood is attached. The idea about magenta color filter is interesting, I have to google that... The sea around Iceland is very green,,, and fu... cold :cool2:

Unless there was a significant change in the design on the UWL-H100 lens hood, I don't understand why the filter doesn't fit. On the older model UWL-100 28AD lens, the filter grips the rim the same place and the same way as the lens cap, so if a lens cap still fits on it with the hood, so will the filter. Mine fits fully down on the lens and doesn't even come close to touching the hood. You might ask Divervision to recheck that it doesn't fit as there is no reason is shouldn't (unless the filter doesn't actually look like the picture which is a model that has been sold under many different brand names over the years).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom