Canon Underwater case needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I'm in the position of not being able to find a shell for my Canon A710 IS. The Canon shell (WP-DC6) is nowhere to be found and Ikelite apparently no longer produces a shell for this camera.

Where do you guys generally go in this situation? EBay+luck as luckydays mentioned? Or is there some other option beyond Canon and Ikelite?

For discontinued housings I would do periodic Google, eBay and scuba forum searches. Eventually, someone with one of these will want to upgrade to a newer camera. Other than a glorified plastic bag (Ewa-Marine), there are probably no other housings available for this camera. There are many other manufactures, but they don't service the point and shoot industry, instead concentrating on DSLR and video.

I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I'm in the position of not being able to find a shell for my Canon A710 IS. The Canon shell (WP-DC6) is nowhere to be found and Ikelite apparently no longer produces a shell for this camera.

Where do you guys generally go in this situation? EBay+luck as luckydays mentioned? Or is there some other option beyond Canon and Ikelite?

Have you tried Amazon ?
I've bought my WP-DC-12 in Amazon and in spite that the A570IS is already discontinued, the UW case is still available.

Hi, emoreira -

I tried Amazon, B&H, buy.com, overstock, and about every other US store I could think of or find via Google by searching for the model info (both Ikelite and Canon), A710 IS underwater shell/housing, etc. No dice so far.

Maybe that's a subtle message to me about working on my buoyancy control this summer instead of taking photos. :wink:

Buy a new camera.

If you are buying a camera to use underwater then you better buy the housing at the same time. These things, both cameras and housings, have a very short product life cycle. When they are gone, they are gone.

You might luck out on a used beater on eBay or someplace. Good luck.

N

Hi, Nemrod -

Yeah - lesson learned. I bought this camera without ever really intending to take photos while diving. Now I know to make sure I buy the housing when I get the camera :p

I got my camera case from B&H...and it is huge.... So big for my small Canon. The case comes from Inelite.... I guess I thought it would be small sized like the camera.

Are they all this size?

Maybe there is a smaller carmer/case combo that I should just purchase.

Thoughts & help??

I got my camera case from B&H...and it is huge.... So big for my small Canon. The case comes from Inelite.... I guess I thought it would be small sized like the camera.

Are they all this size?

Maybe there is a smaller carmer/case combo that I should just purchase.

Thoughts & help??

Ikelite housings are huge, heavy and expensive, but, at least for what has been mentioned here, good and rated to 60 mts (200 feet).
Canon housings are small and there is less than 3/16 inches air space around the camera in every direction. Canon housings are only rated 40 mts (133 feet), perhaps here is the size difference.
As for what i've seen up to now, housing done by the camera manufacturer are small and the cameras fit very tight in them.
Ikelite housings are all very similar in size to fit a lot of different cameras. Only the button controls are located differently to fit each camera. Perhaps this is the second reason why they are so big.
Just my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom