Canon Underwater housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Buffalo, New York; Clevland, Ohio; Rockhampton, Au
Hey, I recently purchassed the WP-DC800 underwater housing unit for my canon s400. I have yet to use it and although I have heard good stories about it, I have also heard bad stories. I was wondering if anyone had any problems with it. Also if anyone has had problems is there any advice you have for preping the case. Plus did you find you had time to get the camera to the surface before damage was done if the case did in fact leak. Thanks.

I have a different housing but the procedures are all the same:
1. Follow the manufacturers directions and abide by their depth ratings or risk the consequences.
2. Lightly grease the main O-ring and check it for hair or any other foreign matter. Check the groove it goes in as well.
3. Test your housing void of camera before using it.
4. A leak can be a few drops or a full flood. There is no way to predict that. Far too much emphasis is placed on flooding. Most floods are user error, whether they will admit it or not.

I agree with Gilligan, test the case without the cam first... at least if it leaks within the warranty period, you can have it replaced without damage to your camera. When I save enough for a case for my camera, I'll do a dive without the cam, and just the case.

Have not heard any bad stories about the Canon cases...except that they don't have screw fittings on the lens, so you have to buy an Inon adaptor to add filters and additional lenses. I also have an S400 and a WP-DC800 housing, and it works great. Keep the o ring separate from camera when you are not using it, and change it every 40 to 50 dives...you can probably get more out of it, but they are not all that expensive, so I would not take the risk.

As for prep'ing the housing, stick to Gilligan's advice. Keep the o ring grove spotlessly clean, lightly grease the o ring and check it every time you open the housing and only use the manufacturers approved grease.

I have the S45 and its ccase (can't remember the number of the top of my head). It has worked great on all of my dives, plus I use it for all osrts of other high risk to my camera events.

Also make sure to not forget the anti fogging agent. I have a whole dive worth of blurry pictures to attest to that folly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom