Canon Users: Ergonomics Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kicking around some different tray options for Canon housings because, for me at least, they WP-DC housings don't fit my hands as well as I'd like them to.

Which housing are you using?
Do you use your index finger or thumb to operate the shutter release?
Do you get any finger cramping on long dives?

WP DC300 user here, I use my idex finger on the shutter. Thumb is on the back of the case gripping against the 4th and 5th fingers on the front, so I can and do hold it and shoot one handed. No finger cramping problems but it is not warm here so not hovering over a reef in one position for 50+ minutes, so would change position quite frequently.

Alison

Ryan,

I have the WPDC300 housing for my S40 camera. I use the Ultralight tray and arms to hold my strobe. I use my index finger to release the shutter. I dive cold Monterey, CA waters so I have 6mm neoprene gloves and its pretty easy to press down.

Ericson

Ryan:
I'm kicking around some different tray options for Canon housings because, for me at least, they WP-DC housings don't fit my hands as well as I'd like them to.

Ryan:

I feel your pain...

I use the WP-DC700 on a homebuilt tray and trigger the shutter with my index finger. After a long dive my hand gets tired...especially when I spend a lot of time holding the trigger half way waiting for some critter to come back into position. But it seems that this is something I'll have to live with as I can't imagine how to make it more ergonomic without breaking the bank. Having the tray does make it easier to brace the camera against the rocks for waiting and ambient light stuff.

I use the WP-DC20 underwater housing on a sunpak tray. I've mounted a close-up len and adapter onto the housing so now the entire set-up has gone from positive buoyancy (only camera + housing) to extreme negative buoyancy.

It is not an issue during day dives because I use my right hand to hold the camera with the index finger on the shutter, and my left hand on the tray handle. On night dives, I use the torch as focus light for the camera, and have to hold the entire camera setup using my right hand only. Then it becomes a challenge to stabilise the camera, and still have enough strength on my index finger to depress the shutter. After a while, my right hand feels like cramping...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom