Canon video suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to buy a new Canon digital video camera. Can anyone suggest which model I should look at that would coordinate with a housing. Thanks you.

KidK9:
I'm looking to buy a new Canon digital video camera. Can anyone suggest which model I should look at that would coordinate with a housing. Thanks you.

What is your budget ans what kind of image quality do you need?
The housing and the lights will cost way more then the camera.

I'm looking too and have found you can get a used professional
level system cheaper than a new consumer level system.
The three chip cameras produce order of magitude better quality
color.

I'm looking at the Sony VX1000. They sell used for about $800
and housing for about the same. The quality to truely better than
most TVs can reproduce. it is "broadcast quality".

Currently however I'm using the video mode on a canon A80.
It is rather poor quality video but good enough if you only want
to show it on the web.

It all depends on your intended use and budget.

I too would recomend looking at Sony. DV is DV is DV. You can't tell the difference between the canon eulras and the new HC models of Sony. Where the difference comes in is in the underwater housings. Sony has the LANC link that allows some housings (light and motion for one) to control the zoom, on/off, etc from buttons OUTSDIE the housing. There are no failure points like on an Ikelike or Gates for a Canon. My old Ike has a knob for focus, zoom and off and on, plus the record button. Each of these sticks throught the housing and is just another place to develope a leak.
Granted, if you take care of the housing, replace the seals often and have insurance, you have nothing to worry about-get the canon if you like canon better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom