Can't "giant stride"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about rolling off sideways? There is a boat up here in Tobermory where you have to basically crawl out a big "window" in the side of the boat, put one foot on a small ledge (a couple inches wide - one leg outside the boat and one still inside the boat) that runs around the boat, and then lift the inside leg and roll out sideways. It is a terrible PITA when you are doing it around the boat but off a platform it might not be too bad.

Since then, I have been unable to jump off of anything, even if it's only a couple of feet high. This includes the giant stride entry off a boat. Every time I try, I just freeze. My rational mind is fully aware of the safety of the action but, somewhere in my subconscious, another part of my brain takes over and simply will not let me jump.

I can back roll off a boat with no problem, and I can even jump forward if my feet are already in the water. But I just can't do the giant stride from above the surface of the water.

How you get into the water is your business. In fact, one of the questions on a particular OW exam is "What's the best way to enter the water?" and the answer is "The easiest and safest." If you're scared of doing a giant-stride, that means it's not "the easiest."

A back-roll works just fine on most boats even from the exit gateway, and a controlled seated entry also works nicely.

flots.

If the waves aren't too choppy, perhaps you could go down the ladder where divers reboard the boat?

Might I suggest ...

IMG_0039_1.jpg

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Given what happened I understand why you have an irrational fear. If you can't get over it then you need professional help and there is nothing wrong with that.

As to the entry method-I like to roll off backwards anyway. I would make sure this is OK with the boat and just enjoy my dive. There is no point in stressing over something like this.

Are you able to dive in a swimming pool, even if you can't jump? Or does your fear apply to any distance between you and the ground or water, feet first or head first? I'm just thinking that if you can dive in a pool, even from the side, maybe the next step is "walking" in off the edge of a pool until you're comfortable, and slowly increasing the height until you're at a giant stride height.

hey palidine lets go up to charlies ill help you get over your fear only gonna take one day:eyebrow:

Might I suggest ...

IMG_0039_1.jpg

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I love that entry. It always gets great reviews from DM's on the boats.

Go stand on the high diving board at a pool. Chicken out. Then go stand at the edge of the pool on ground level. I bet you can do it then. Have a good swim instructor teach you how to do it, I can do it in scuba without getting my hair wet. I think this is a lifeguard technique so you don't take your eyes off the person you are about to rescue. Maybe if someone taught you how to do it without submerging you might be ok.

Back
Top Bottom