Can't take a dump...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer

Contributor
Reaction score
In a car underwater with time to kill....
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a way to make the rear dump-valve pull more easily accessible? On my Cressi-Sub BC, it's at the right rear, and I end up fumbling around for it for god only knows HOW long, before finding the tiny little string that they've put on it. Ditto for the Dive-Rite that I've been borrowing: On that one, the rear dump is on the left, but once again, nearly impossible to find, because of the wing and trim weight and stuff. What can be done to lengthen this or make it a little easier to find? It's getting to be pretty frustrating.

Could I take a length of nylon cord (550 cord), and attach it, maybe?

I wouldn't make the cord longer since you risk getting it caught up. I attached a small plastic ball to the end of it to make it easier to grab. I dive a lot in cold water so finding a small string w/ thick gloves on was hard for me also.

gerardnealon:
I wouldn't make the cord longer since you risk getting it caught up. I attached a small plastic ball to the end of it to make it easier to grab. I dive a lot in cold water so finding a small string w/ thick gloves on was hard for me also.

Both dumps already have the little plastic ball handles on them, but that just means that they float up and "hide" behind the tank, or find other places to hide. What I was thinking of doing, is not attaching a loop to them, but behind the plastic ball handle, tying a 6" piece of nylon cord. Not long enough to catch on anything, and not tied at the bottom. It would end up as two 3" strings, basically. It's hard to explain in text...

Ohh ok sorry. Playing around with your gear and testing new ideas is good as long as your safe about it. Try out your new idea and see how it works. It took me some time to get used to finding the little ball. Maybe my string is shorter, but I dont think my ball floats that far. If I can remember correctly, I locate the plastic dump valve on the wing and run my hand down until I catch the ball. It seems to work better that way. Good luck.

Fish_Whisperer:
Is there a way to make the rear dump-valve pull more easily accessible? On my Cressi-Sub BC, it's at the right rear, and I end up fumbling around for it for god only knows HOW long, before finding the tiny little string that they've put on it. Ditto for the Dive-Rite that I've been borrowing: On that one, the rear dump is on the left, but once again, nearly impossible to find, because of the wing and trim weight and stuff. What can be done to lengthen this or make it a little easier to find? It's getting to be pretty frustrating.

Could I take a length of nylon cord (550 cord), and attach it, maybe?

My Ranger traps air on occasion, and I found if very difficult to find the dump pull... Until I decided that i needed to practice with it. After working on dumping air from my REAR! I was able to quickly find the DUMP and Pull it.

One thought would be to put a fish weight/lead on the thing if it's floating. You could just attach one of those puppies to the lower part of the string, it would not be permenant, and that would keep in in place... PLUS SCORE, you could eliminate 1 oz of weight from you belt!!!

Good Luck

RonFrank:
My Ranger traps air on occasion, and I found if very difficult to find the dump pull... Until I decided that i needed to practice with it. After working on dumping air from my REAR! I was able to quickly find the DUMP and Pull it.

One thought would be to put a fish weight/lead on the thing if it's floating. You could just attach one of those puppies to the lower part of the string, it would not be permenant, and that would keep in in place... PLUS SCORE, you could eliminate 1 oz of weight from you belt!!!

Good Luck

:lol: Yeah, that one ounce of weight could make quite a difference! :D

This is a good idea, too. Thank you.

RonFrank:
PLUS SCORE, you could eliminate 1 oz of weight from you belt!!!

Good Luck

Why not attach your entire weight belt to it!! :) Kidding aside... Thats a good idea also.

Fish_Whisperer:
That seems like a good idea, too. I usually just reach back and fumble around until I find the ball. Maybe starting out with finding the plastic valve first is the right way to approach it. Thank you, Gerard.
Try reaching back until you feel the valve. Make a circle with your thumb and forefinger in the OK sign around the valve then bring your fingers together. The ball and string should fall right into your hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom