Cape cod wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bell47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
What are the good wrecks around cape cod to find cool stuff like old bottles and such. Are there any treasure/cargo ships still missing around cape cod that could be fun to look for?

You can start with these:http://www.scuba-newengland.com/Books.asp
http://secretsquirreldivers.com/ggysd.html. The second one is the most current work. Each has good numbers and a history of the wrecks.

Will you be searching for these wrecks yourself? Have you been diving any wrecks in that area yet? If you're just "getting into it" I would suggest using one of the local charter boats. Check with your local dive shops, they are always a good place to start.

Good luck with your quest!

Dennis

I prefer to use my own boat. When using charters you are diving on wrecks that hundreds of people have been on. In other words all the good stuff is gone. I know of a virgin wreck in the bay that i just got numbers for. I will dive it in about 2 weeks then place the numbers on this board. I just want to get the first peek at it. The Cape is loaded with wrecks and if your into sifting around the bones of old ships looking for something of historic value then the Cape is for you. There is plenty to find if your diligent.

Let me point you to a couple of good books on the area's shipwrecks:

"Exploring the Waters of Cape Cod Shipwecks & Dive Sites" by Don Ferris
"Shipwrecks of Massachusetts, South" by Gary Gentile

These are a good start you can find them in any local dive shop on the Cape. Gary's Book is new, just came out in Feb-Mar of this year. Don's book is good as well except it has loran numbers rather than GPS coordinates.

As someone mentioned earlier there are thousands of wrecks around the cape, the vast majority have been covered up by the sand. Things change every year, some are uncovered while other get covered.

The Port Hunter is a wreck off of Hedge Fence Shoal off of Martha's Vineyard. The wreck sunk in 1918 and the Brass Letters with the ships name were just recovered last summer. See www.capedivelocker.com and look at the photo gallery to see them. They are also displayed in the shop.

The only shore dive where you might find something is Garbage Beach in Woods Hole, I have found old bottles at this site. Old USN Medical Bottles. This is as well one of the only shore dives on the Cape where you can get some depth.

Scubar:
The only shore dive where you might find something is Garbage Beach in Woods Hole, I have found old bottles at this site. Old USN Medical Bottles. This is as well one of the only shore dives on the Cape where you can get some depth.

I met a guy that has a tea cup and saucer from the revenue cutter service (predates coast guard), that he found off garbage beach.

Back
Top Bottom