Cape Hatteras or Nags Head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregT943

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'll be vacationing on the outer banks during the last week of May/ first week of June. I will be staying at a house in Nag's Head. I would love to get a day or two of diving in. I have heard a few things about the diving at these two locations. I hear that in Hatteras the water is warmer and clearer due to the gulf stream, where as in Nag's head the water is colder and greener due to colder northern currents. Is this true? Which area has better diving? What type of exposure suit will I need? Also I looooove diving with sharks. Are sharks more prevalent in one location? Is Hatteras worth the 1 hour drive from Nag's head or should I just dive out of Nag's head? Thanks a lot for your help

(don't worry about my skill level, I am a Dive Master with 400+ dives, as well as experience with diving and penetrating large wrecks)

If you want sharks, it will be Hatteras, check JTs Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA schedule to see if any of the dates line up with what you have.
There is also Dave at DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best! both of these are 6 packs, rather large 6 packs at that & will make you very comfortable.
There is also a larger boat Outer Banks Diving
Cape Hatteras - USS Tarpon on Vimeo or
Best Sharks of 2008 on Vimeo
A few videos from a friend of mine, Drewski on this board.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Is it normal to see Sand tigers in those numbers while diving or is that just on rare occasions? I wish they ran dives during the week too

On those sites the sharks are pretty much there all the time, The Proteus which is the premier rec type dive(we have seen boats from MHC come up 4+ hours to dive this site) 125fsw to the sand, the sandtigers are so thick I've had to push them out of the way to get to the wreck.
The Dixie Arrow 95fsw, is normally pretty stacked also especially toward the stern.
Just about every wreck down there has them, check out Andys (Drewski) video of the Tug in 60fsw just 3 miles off the coast. Austin Shark on Vimeo
JT will go out during the week, he is there staying on the boat. Just needs 4 to go.

P7130067.JPG

P7130061.JPG

P6140121.JPG

Love this Octopus on the Proteus.

Greg- I go down and stay in Duck every year. I have dived from both locations and Hatteras is hands down the better diving. Unless you like colder greener water. I personally prefer the warm blue stuff.

Outer Banks Diving runs during the week. They run a good operation.

I love diving out of Hatteras with Outer Banks Diving with Captain John and the Flying Fish. He runs a top notch operation. In fact, I will be diving with him in April. I cannot wait!!

Alright Cape Hatteras it is then. Those vids/pics of schooling sharks alone have convinced me its worth the hour drive. I have my wreck certification as well as my nitrox but I have no tech training. Is The Proteus within the recreational limits? That seems to be the best dive in the area

Alright Cape Hatteras it is then. Those vids/pics of schooling sharks alone have convinced me its worth the hour drive. I have my wreck certification as well as my nitrox but I have no tech training. Is The Proteus within the recreational limits? That seems to be the best dive in the area

The Proteus is just within recreational limits. I think I logged about 125 feet. Talk to Amy at the Outer Banks Diving, she'll work out the details with you.

It is the best & most shark infested site within rec limits, 125fsw to the sand, but could easily stay at the top of the boilers & stern at about 110 for the entire dive, but a swim around the stern in the sand surrounded by 20+ sharks is worth the BT you lose.

Outer Banks does run on the week, but their boat holds 20+ divers, so he needs more to actually go.
Call JT & let him know when you will be there & he will keep you on a list to try to put together a trip with others who call.

I have dove with them both & while I can't say anything negative, always had a good time with Johnny & Amy, I prefer to limit the amount of divers around me that a 6-pack offers.
Sharks can be shy & pushed off a wreck if there is too much commotion.

Back
Top Bottom