Car key question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A simple solution to this problem exists. Hide your key somewhere near dive site or under your car. I usually put my key under a wheel.

Those magnetic key storage things (mentioned in this thread) are also useful when hiding keys.

Never had a problem yet but I generally don't dive in areas where my car will be left on cinder blocks when I come out :) Towed maybe...

hitch safe. works great!

I have a spare, waterproof key that I keep in a small, waterproof case that I clip onto my drysuit undergarment. I guess it doesn't really need to be waterproof, as it's inside the drysuit, but it's a nice touch.

You should really dip the whole thing in wax.

The smallest of the OtterBox cases, about the right size for keys, and I think it is rated down to about 200 feet.

Quoting myself from that ^ thread:

Never leaked...

I had one in size small that imploded at about 95 feet. Wet $$$ and credit cards are OK. Wet electronic key not so much.

I use what they call a demo key and simply attach it to a bolt snap with cave line and clip it
off to my upper right side d-ring. I like the idea of being able to quickly glance at it before
the dive and also during the dive. I try to rinse the key if beach showers are available, tends
to keep any saltwater out of the door lock. Usually my quick rinse after the dive at the shower
station will take care of this.

I'm in the group that uses a nearby plant or rock, when nobody's looking. But will probably switch to a small dry bag in the future.

James

I use a plastic pouch designed for keys. It's cheap ($7) and has never leaked. Since its soft plastic, there is not any pressure differential like a hard box.

Is that one of those three zip-lock pouches? How deep have you dived with it?

Back
Top Bottom